The Devil This Way Comes

Kristen's Pov

It's been three days since he left. No one knows where the hell he was, except for the fact that he zeta-ed to Gotham. From there, who knows?

Whatever was going on between him and Batman, it's been happening for a while now. Or so Garfield has told me. I wonder what happened, and why Batman was being more, well Batman-ish that usual.

I finished my laps touring the building and went down to the kitchen to see what I could eat. It was about 4:30 in the morning, so no one was awake except for Malcolm, Artemis, and Kaldur. But I haven't run into them. 

I wasn't able to sleep, like at all. It wasn't the nightmares, but I guess was scared of having them. Nightwing was right. This whole restless nights thing was really messing with my head. But you know, practice makes perfect. And a little extra training wouldn't hurt anyone.

After grabbing a protein bar, I made my way back to my room so I could freshen up a bit. Quietly munching on my food, I tiptoed down the hall. But I stopped in my tracks when I noticed it wasn't the way I left it. The door was open just a crack.

I didn't have any weapons, and I didn't have my mask on. Damnit.

I reached for the door handle, ready to attack any intruders. I swung open the door and did a tuck and roll to the foot of the bed. When I stood up, I almost fell back over.

Sitting on my bed was Nightwing, the bastard himself.

"Where the hell have you been?" Surprisingly, the question came out calm and controlled. Instead, I put my hands on my hips and cocked my head to the side. He looked up, confused at first, but when he saw me, he burst out laughing. "And what's so funny?"

"Your face!" He doubled over in a fit of laughter, and it was kind of hard not to join him.

I held my breath in order to keep a straight face and sat at the edge of the bed facing him. Slowly, he got control over his giggles and controlled his breathing. 

"Seriously. We couldn't find you. What happened?"

He didn't respond. That was a bad sign. 

"You know you can talk to me, right?" I reached out and put a hand on his shoulder, but he pulled away slightly. Ouch.

"Nothing happened, Kris," I knew in my heart that was a lie. No matter the fact that he executed it perfectly. He looked down. "But I know. Um, thanks." 

There wasn't another word. We just sat there, actually in comfortable silence. I laid horizontal across the bed in front of Nightwing, while he sat there, twiddling his thumbs. At least, it was comfortable for me.

"What are you even doing up?" Uh, oh.

I sat up quickly to avoid him seeing right through me. "I was running. Training." 

I squeezed my eyes shut, hoping that the situation would somehow float away.

"At 4:30 in the morning?" I turned to face him and peeked through one eye.

"Please don't get mad at me..." I spun completely towards him, with my hand clasped together. "I can't help it."

"Kris," I wasn't willing to go through this arguing again, but with him, it was probably inevitable. His voice was stern and it reminded me a lot of Mal. "Why didn't you tell me?" 

This time, it was softer.

I only groaned and fell over. With my eyes closed, I pulled the covers over my body as I lay flat on my back. Why did he have to press questions? I felt the covers behind me lift up, and a warm body settled next to mine. I swear my heart almost stopped completely. What the hell was he doing?