Chapter Two- Caspar

-Chapter Two-

Caspar

ON NEW YEARS Eve, his father summoned him to his office. Palms sweaty, he could not help but remember the last time he had been escorted there by the guards, after the King had discovered his first ever prank in the kitchens. Although he failed to recall any recent indiscretions, he still could not help but feel as if he had done something wrong. When the door to the study was opened by his father's right hand, Caspar gulped but gingerly walked in, his back straight and his hands intertwined behind it. After bowing shallowly before the desk, he waited for his father to begin the conversation.

'Caspar, your twentieth birthday approaches.'

Well... that was not what he had thought his father had summoned him about. Perhaps he wanted to organise the party? 'Yes, Father.'

'Although you are not my heir, your birthday is just as important as your older brother's. As is tradition, you will spend the three months beforehand in the armed forces on the boarder of our land. Our nation is separated from the rest of the world, and the humans, however, we still must be prepared to defend ourselves. As a royal of Selene, it is your duty.'

He frowned in confusion. 'But, Father, it is only tradition for the first child to be sent to the military. Why...?'

'This is true,' the King sighed, 'however, as you are a twin, we cannot be sure if it will be you or your brother who is chosen by Selene. Hence, both of you shall leave on the day after New Years Day for the military base and stay there until your return in March, four days before your shared birthday.'

'Father, Marius is the first born-'

'Yes, so he must be protected. As the second, you will be his main advisor and the leader of the royal guard. I believe you will gain as much experience from this as your brother. Now, this is my final ruling. I am finished debating about this. Prepare to leave with Marius on the second of January.'

His stiff shoulders slumped forward and he felt the beginnings of a pout forming on his face. Caspar had been looking forward to three glorious months without Marius hovering over him. He loved his brother, yes, but the older twin was a stickler for rules and didn't approve of his more... questionable activities. Now, instead of what he had planned (which involved a significant amount of ambrosia, his equally rowdy friends and a few very beautiful women), he would be trudging through mud and training instead of relaxing.

'Yes, Father. Is that all?'

'You are dismissed.'

He left as quickly as he could and headed to his mother's rooms to complain. After all, who else would be on his side than the woman who gave birth to him?

His mother, Queen Artemisia, was not exactly a prize winning beauty. The most regal of her characteristics, in his opinion, would be the eyes he inherited. Typically, all of the royal line had silver eyes that were one of Selene's gifts to Araluen, as they reflected the most sacred full moon. Both his father and Marius had these eyes, as did all his other siblings and cousins, but he, instead, had an identical copy of his mother's pretty hazel eyes. On most days they appeared to be dark green, however, under the right lighting the golden veins that ran through them were obvious. Other than that, his mother's face was plain, her nose a smudge too big, her lips too wide. She had low cheekbones that made her face seem longer and gaunter, especially as she grew older, and thin ringlets that had been coloured obsidian rather than her natural mousy brown.