Chapter 9

Garmadon was feeling better the next day. He now had complete faith the Ninja wouldn't toss him away. They'd help him find his boy.

He walked onto the deck, the Bounty was anchored in the air, and the sun was just rising. It was a beautiful sight.

Something caught his eye. A small Table was standing in the middle of the deck.

I wonder who put that there?

Curiosity overtook him and walked over to check it out. On it was a single envelope. Written in blood-red ink were the words:

For the Crew of the Destiny's Bounty

Garmadon knew what it was then. He wondered if he should call for Wu. He'd still be asleep, wouldn't he? Actually, knowing his brother, he's probably been up all night meditating to try and find Lloyd. Plus, he didn't want to be alone when he saw the contents of the envelope. So he went back below deck to hunt down his brother.

Just as he suspected, Wu was meditating in his room, his back to the door. Garmadon knocked lightly on the door, slightly afraid to disturb him. He heard Wu sigh.

"Anything," Garmadon asked tentatively.

"No, nothing," Wu replied, clearly frustrated. "It's as if they've vanished. I can't find a trace."

Wu turned to face him. "What is it that you need me for, brother?"

"There's a message above deck. I...I didn't want to open it alone."

His brother nodded, sympathy showing in his eyes. "I see. Well, let's go read this message, then."

Garmadon led the way to the table. He picked up the envelope, and hesitated. Did he really need to know what was inside here? At a nod from Wu, though, he took a deep breath and gathered up the courage to open it careful not to damage the contents.

Inside were two more photos and a letter. Garmadon picked up the photos first, and nearly threw up.

The first was of Lloyd. He was unconscious, but every muscle was locked up in agony. It appeared that he was shaking, as the picture seemed slightly blurry. He handed the picture to Wu, who took one glance and laid it face down on the table.

The second was worse. It was a close-up of Lloyd's back. Carved into it was a ragged spiral, a symbol the two brothers knew all too well. The Tribal Symbol of the Hypnobrai. It looked brand new, it was even still bleeding. The part that worried Garmadon the most was the slight green tinge the blood had, as if something else had been mixed in.

Again he handed it to Wu, who placed it face down the table. He reached for the letter next. It was specifically addressed to him.

For: Lord Garmadon

He opened the letter.

Dear Lord Garmadon,

I hope this finds you well. You wouldn't want to miss out on update about Lloyd, would you? Did you like the drawing? The blade I used was drenched in Venomari/Fanpyre poison mixture. You know all too well what THAT feels like, don't you? Oh, and something else to worry about. Turns out Skalidor DIDN'T break the boy's ribs, so I did. And judging by the sound of his breathing, I do believe one punctured a lung. You better hurry, Garmadon. He might not survive to the end of the week.

Scales, Rightful Ruler of the Serpentine

Garmadon's hands shook. He'd annihilate that snake the next time he laid eyes on him. Wu gently pried the letter from his hands and read it over himself. Garmadon barely noticed. He was fuming. He'd make Scales regret he'd ever came out of his tomb. He promised.