Introduction

Mortown is a small town with a population of about 500 people. It is very isolated with only a few scattered houses around it and is very self contained.

The Mortown population are quite contented with their lives and it is very rare for anyone to leave, or indeed to join. The number of outsiders that have been welcomed in to Mortown could be counted on one hand. Very little interest is taken in the goings on outside of the town as there is not much that affects life here.

But things have changed. Without anyone noticing, someone has seized Mortown for their own and they are taking charge. Formerly a peaceful place the streets are now patrolled by armed men and women. A curfew is put in place and orders are given. These orders are expected to be obeyed without question or severe punishment is given.

A meeting is called that all Mortown residents are required to attend. The armed guards are stationed all around the meeting hall. The feeling of nervousness is palpable. The townspeople have no idea what to expect.

In this hall sit Amberly Haig and Joel Farr. They are very much in love and have plans to be wed as soon as they can arrange it. They sit holding hands and watch in horror as people's names are called out. Their friends and neighbours are among them. And they are called forward to be exiled, given thirty minutes to vacate the town or face instant execution. It is a situation of unbelievable horror, especially when families are being seperated from each other. The cries that come from around the hall are heartbreaking.

Then "Amberly Haig" is called and her cry joins the others.

Joel Farr can do nothing more than look on in shock and horror as Amber is led away.