The More You Know

That's when Emma knew the difference between what's real and what's not real. When she found out that what happened in the cab, or what she thinks happened in the cab, didn't actually happen. The number wasn't a message, it was a password.

"Zeroes or no zeroes?" Emma asked as she walked towards the newly deceased.

"No zeroes", Sherlock responded.

Lestrade looked at the both of them, having no idea of what they were talking about.

Emma picked up the man's limp wrist and turned on the Apple Watch. 95786.

"What app?" Sherlock asked. Ah, he had been paying attention.

"Recording", she smiled. Role reversal. I like it.

Everyone crowded around as she pressed play.

"Good to see that you two have been... observing this whole time." It was the same man, same manipulated voice. "It means that I'm right about you. Both of you."

Emma looked over at Sherlock, worried. What did he mean?

"Everyone knows about the glorious Sherlock Holmes, but Emma Mingrove? She's the new detective and everyone wants to know what she's doing. My, how people will talk."

Emma saw Sherlock's expression. Was he... scared?

"Shut it off", Sherlock stated, but Emma didn't. She needed to know what was to be said next.

"I'm oh so sorry that Mr. Brady can't speak right now. Taped his mouth shut, he was being quite annoying."

"I said, shut it off", Sherlock yelled.

"It's almost done", Emma looked at the time. 11 seconds left.

"But, as we all know, sometimes memories are more annoying then the real world. Isn't that right, Emma? Anyways, till next time.

Bang."

The recording ended with a gun shot, just like the last one did.

"Why did you want the recording to end?" Emma asked Sherlock. Everyone in the room seemed to know why, except for Emma. The room was silent until Emma spoke up again. "Lestrade, I'm going to need to know who owned this house, what Mr. Brady does, and why there's a fake tattoo on his arm."

Lestrade looked at the temporary tattoo. More numbers. 79685. Another password.

"On it", Lestrade nodded.

"And Sherlock?" Sherlock looked up at her. "I'm going to need to talk to you."

------------

Sherlock chased Emma out of the house.

"What was that all about?" she turned around to face him. "Shut it off? Sherlock, with each new murder comes a new message. Each brings us one step closer to finding out who did it and you wanted me to shut it off?"

Sherlock looked down at the ground, unsure of what to say.

"What happened to the sociopath that almost killed himself to see if he was smarter than someone? Good thing John saved you from taking that pill."

He looked up from the ground and looked at her, "how did you know that?"

"I was bound to find John's blogs and you know it." She decided to lighten up what she brought on by saying a joke, "Wouldn't trust my life in the hands of a sociopath."

Sherlock looked at her with a weak expression. Her attempt was obviously not working.

"Listen", she tried again, "let's just put this aside and focus on the task at hand because the murderer messed up."

Sherlock looked very intrigued. "How?" How did I miss it?

"I can't explain now, but you'll just have to trust me."