Getting Back to Normal

Shay's POV: 

You know how when your a kid and you fall asleep in class and you wake up because your arm falls. That's how I woke up this morning. I was sitting in the same chair I was last night, I jolted awake when my hand slid. I could feel the mark on my face from where my hand had been, I yawned and stretched. All the memories from last night came flooding back. I saw Gavin and Emmi sleeping in the chairs opposite me and Brock soundly asleep in the chair next to me. Then there was our sweet Avia laying lifeless in her hospital bed, still hooked up to the wires, IVs and oxygen. Why her? 

I sat there with my head in my hands imagining the worst. She had been through this so many times I didn't know how much more of this her body could take before giving up and failing her. 

"Daddy?" A frail voice chocked out. It was Avia! 

"Yes sweetie! I'm here, Daddy's right here!" I said jumping up and kissing her head 

"What happened?" she asked weakly 

"You caught bronchitis, you be okay. Everything is going to be okay." I said rubbing her head 

"Do you think Mommy will come?" she asked 

"I don't know, maybe!" I said hopefully 

"I did come!" Colette said walking through the door of Avia's hospital room. 

"Mommy!" Avia cried out 

"Hi baby. I'm sorry I haven't been there for you and Brock, but I will be from now on I promise." Colette said coming over and kissing Avia on the forehead, tears welling in her eyes a little bit. 

After a little John came into to update us on everything that was going on. 

"I see the whole family's here." he said walking into the room 

"Yeah children being sick in the hospital does bring people together." I said laughing a little about how true it was. 

"You have a point sir." he said laughing with me and putting a hand on my shoulder. "It seems that she is responding to her antibiotics that we have given, it'll be a few days before she is able to go home though. And when we send her home we are going to send her home with some inhalers and a nebulizer to help her to recover. Now she was scheduled to come in for chemo today along with Brock, so we are still going to administer it to both of them. Is that okay?" 

"Yeah it's totally fine." 

"Now I'm just warning you Avia might react a little more then normal because of her current health state, but nothing to be worried about. Unless she spikes a fever again, then contact one of us." 

"Alright thank you. Now is Brock doing it in here, or should we bring him down to the oncology ward?" I asked

"I mean we can do it either place, why don't you ask him." 

"Hey Brock do you wanna do chemo in here with Avia or downstairs by all the toys?" I asked a now awake and hyperactive Brock 

"Here, I don't like doing it with out Avia!" he cried clutching onto my arm 

"Okay, okay. You can do it here. We were just asking." I said laughing and detaching him from my arm.

Some nurses brought in another bed for Brock and let him get all set up before beginning to set up for chemo. Brock was as close to Avia as he could get with out being in the same bed as her, which he probably would have been if we let him.  

"Avia can you hold my hand?" he asked frightfully, even though he had been doing this for a few weeks now he still asked Avia she would hold his hand.

"Of course Brock." she said sticking her hand for him to grab. He grabbed on to it and held on to it as if his life depended on it. He cried because of the pain all though this time he finally had his mother there to help comfort him. 

"It's okay Brocky. It'll be okay." Colette said running her hands through his hair, that he still had. Although it was thinning and would need to be shaved soon. 

Finally Brock was all set up and then it was on to Avia, who like always took it like a champ. Not that Brock didn't, she doesn't didn't cry. Once the two of them were set up they ended up falling asleep and Gavin and Emmi went down to cafeteria to get some breakfast, leaving me and Colette to talk. 

"So what made you change? What made you come back to our family?" I asked, pretending like I didn't know what happened last night. 

"Emmi, she showed me that I needed to be here for the Brock and Avia, all the kids really for that matter." she said "And I'm ashamed to say that I was in a pit of depression so bad that I... that I... that I tried to kill myself last night." she said collapsing into tears. 

I wrapped her in a hug and tried to comfort her, I couldn't be mad at her it was a lot. 

"Hey it's okay, I'm not mad at you I get it. This has been hard on us, espically you because you lost your mother to cancer. And you thought that ending your life would be easier then watching them suffer because that's the worst thing to see as a parent, trust me I get that." I said rubbing her back 

"Your not mad at me?" she sniffled, it was like she had resorted to a child like state of innocence 

"No, I could never be mad at you." 

"Thank you." she said smiling up at me 

"Now maybe things can get back to normal." I said sighing. And they did, when we were in the hospital me and Colette were able to comfort both kids, Avia didn't stress herself out over making sure Brock was okay, Emmi didn't launch into a fight of rage, Gavin and Daxton weren't neglected. We were a family again. Our situation wasn't normal and was unfavorable by any means, but it was normal to us.  

AN: I know kind of weak chapter, but don't worry things will start picking up again in the next few chapters or so. Also this chapter ended being longer than I thought it would, so that's a plus.