Chapter I

Star Butterfly coughed loudly as she came to, slowly removing her hands from over her ears. Legs shaking violently, she slowly stood up, covering her nose and mouth with the neck of her dress so as to not breathe in any of the dust. A strong wind whipped her long blonde hair into tangles, turning it into a matted mess. The blast from the wand's explosion rang unceasingly in her ears. She looked around, but the air was thick with soot and smoke, making it hard to see in front of her. Noticing that the glass cage had been shattered, she took a few staggering steps forward, struggling to keep her balance. She gingerly stepped over the remains of the massive box, careful to not step on the sharp shards and crumbling stones laying on the barely visible ground before her. It had protected her from the initial blast, but the force of the explosion proved too strong, leaving her with painful cuts all over her body. As she picked a piece of glass out of her arm, scrunching her face in pain, something hit her. Marco. Oh god. Marco. She spun around and leaped over the edge of the box.

       "Marco! Marco? Are you okay?" She ran over to where he had been laying, but no one was there. Did he move? A sudden terror stuck her. Where could he have gone?
"MARCO!" She cried out in fear. "MARCO WHERE ARE YOU!? MARCO ANSWER ME! PLEASE ANSWER ME!" She stopped for a second, but no reply came. "MARCOOOOOO! No no no no no no no this can't be happening! Where is he? MARCO!"
Tears began streaming down her cheeks, clearing small paths through the dirt and grime. Filled with panic, she rushed around what was left of the castle.
"MARCOOOO! Please be here somewhere. Pleasepleaseplease be ok. LUDO! BUTT FROG! ANYONE! PLEASE! CAN YOU HEAR ME?! PLEASE ANSWER ME! Marco... Anyone... Please!" Nothing. Star was completely alone.

She dropped to her knees, collapsing in a pile of tears. She hugged herself tightly, folding over, her body racked with sobs. Her hair dragged on the ground, collecting dust and pieces of ground up glass. Her whole body hurt. Her heart felt it had been shattered along with the box. Where was Marco? Where was everybody? Was she really all alone? She felt so small and defenseless without her wand. She had become so dependent on that wand in such little time, it was almost unbelievable. It had become a part of her very being, giving her a feeling of safety and security that was now gone forever.

       As the last rays of light filtering through the dust and smoke vanished, her sobbing slowed and exhaustion kicked in, along with severe dehydration and a brutal headache. Head pounding and dress soaked, she reached into her bag and pulled out Marco's hoodie. Her only comfort was the faint scent of Marco that was interwoven with the fabric after being worn by him so many times. Wrapping it carefully around herself and pulling the hood up over her head, she gingerly curled up on the floor  against a remaining corner of the castle to provide protection from the freezing wind, soon falling into an exhausted and nightmare-filled sleep.