Chapter Eleven

An insistent knocking on Ricky and Summer's bedroom door wakes the two up. Angry at being disturbed from his sleep, Ricky leaves the warmth of Summer's body and stomps to the door, pulling on his pants as he goes. Yanking the door open wearing a scowl on his face he's confronted by his twin sister, Nicky. Of course, only she can ruin his day before it has even begun. She pushes past him, completely ignoring his presence, and immediately talks to Summer. Annoyed, he shuts his bedroom door and stalks to the bed.

"What do you want?" He demanded sitting on the bed next to Summer.

"Don't be grumpy. I came to tell you important news but if you don't want to know I'll just leave." She gets up from Summer's side and tilts her head up crossing her arms and walks away. He wants to stay with Summer but he knows this is important for Nicky to leave Danny's side in the morning.

"Sorry, sorry. What is it?"

She spins on her heel and comes back. "Okay, the Elders are having their weekly meeting and they want you to come. Oh, and they want you to bring your future mate. Like in thirty minutes. Okay, that's all. I'll be there with Danny so don't worry. We have your back." She leaves with a wave.

At yesterday's meeting with the Elders they never mentioned a weekly meeting to him. He needs to know these things. Trey must have kept it from him. Do they still not accept him as the Alpha? He goes to the bathroom to make himself presentable. He has to look like the part to be seen as an Alpha. He can't be looking like a bum in front of the Elders. Their word is like law to a wolf pack.

Summer doesn't follow him. He seems preoccupied with the news that Nicky gave him. But why do they want to see her also? And who are the Elders? Nicky told her that they are the oldest members of a pack and hold a lot of power when it comes to decision making but that's all she knows.

In her mind, she imagines mean old withered men who hate life and love power. From all the books she's read Elders like the old ways and hate change. Do they not like her for being human? If that's true, what can she do to make them like her? To accept her as the Alpha's mate and future Pack Mother.

Ricky is out of the bathroom. She leaps out of bed rushing into the bathroom. Preoccupied with thoughts of the Elders, she hurriedly washes her body nervous with the meeting. In her closet she finds it hard to pick an outfit. Should she go casual or formal. She wants to seem mature and wants them to think highly of her. Like her mother always said, you always judge someone by their appearance.

"Summer, what's taking so long?" Ricky walks into her closet already dressed drying his hair with a towel.

"I don't know what to wear. I want to be accepted by the Elders. What do you think will give them a good impression?" She holds up two outfit choices.

He sighed. "Anything you wear is fine. You don't have to impress them."

"But Nicky said they make the final decisions. What if they don't want me to become the Pack Mother?"

"It wouldn't matter. If they don't accept you then I have no reason to stay here. I'm the Alpha and they will respect what is mine. The end." Ricky always knows what to say to make her feel better. She settles for casual clothing; jeans and a green shirt.

"Okay, I'm ready to go. Where is the meeting?" Summer steps out of the closet and takes Ricky's offered hand. That little bit if contact brings back in full force the memories of last night. Blushing fiercely, she shoots a side glance at Ricky. He doesn't seem to be affected by their contact. Is she the only one affected by last night? Maybe, she rationalized, he doesn't seem to be affected because they are a couple and that's what couples do. That seems about right.