Chapter 19: Fighting Dirty

-Carmen Silvers POV-

Pain ripped through my torso and I doubled over, watching as Austin jerked away from her with a cry of pain, falling to his knees.

"Oh my God, Carmen are you okay?" Kayla asked as I panted, my knees buckling beneath me.

I nodded my head mutely, closing my eyes as I took deep breaths and Kayla rubbed my back. After a moment I did feel better but I could still feel a slight throbbing pain in my body, just lingering beneath the surface.

"I'm fine," I said quietly, swallowing hard as I stood carefully, "I'm just going to take a break."

"Okay," she said, her voice etched with concern as I stumbled over to Austin and Catherine. Austin had his head in his hands so I couldn't see his face but Catherine seemed worried and afraid.

"Catherine," I said, trying to keep my anger in check. How could she? I specifically told her not to kiss him and what did she do? Kiss him! "Go." Was the only other thing I said to her.

She looked up at me, guilt in her green eyes, "But-"

"Go," I said again, my voice taking on an even harder edge.

She swallowed hard and hurried to her feet, running away to join the snow ball fight while I sat on my knees beside Wyatt.

"You okay?" I whispered.

He shook his head slowly and I sighed, adjusting so I was more comfortable and started to rub his back slowly.

"I'm so sorry," I said quietly, "I didn't think she'd actually do it."

"It's not your fault, you can't control what other people do," he said, lifting his head slightly.

I rubbed my eyes tiredly, flopping back into the snow, "I still can't believe she did it after I specifically told her not to."

He lay down next to me on his side, "You know how you tell me to stop apologizing all the time and that it's not my fault?" he hinted

I smiled, "Using my own words against me?"

"Yup," he said, grinning back. He looked better now and I scooted a bit closer to him.

"Hey, if we're going to be lying here we should at least make it look like we're actually fighting or something," he said, grinning mischievously at me.

"Austin," I said warningly as he lay down on top of me, pinning me to the ground. I put my hands on his chest, pushing him hard. He moved off of me but I rolled on top of him, adjusting myself so I had a leg on each side as well as a hand on either side of his head.

"You know, if we weren't surrounded by people I'd most definitely be kissing you right now," he said matter-of-factly as he put his hands on my back and rolled us over. I fought against him, struggling to keep him pinned beneath me but he won.

"Kiss?" I snorted, "I want so much more than a kiss from you."

He smirked as he rolled us over so I was on top, putting his hands on my thighs. I swallowed hard at his touch, feeling my stomach twist but in a good way.

"Austin," I growled quietly, my eyes flicking in the direction of my pack and friends.

"Brett said to fight dirty," he reminded me, his smirk widening, "So I'm fighting dirty."

I grabbed his hands, took them off my thighs and rolled off of him into a crouch as he sat up.

He hopped to his feet and I straightened up, both of us staring at each other for a long moment before Austin lunged at me. At the last second I stepped sideways, sending him barrelling right past. But obviously, he'd been expecting me to step aside because on his way past his hand reached out and grabbed my coat, taking me with him. I stumbled and fell and Austin hit the ground as well since I fell on top of him.