Chapter 4

"Why are we even having this conversation? She should be in hospital!"

A voice hisses in reply. "Because that would be just so clever wouldn't it! She passed out because of an exploding car with a dummy of her mom inside, but no we haven't called the police yet!"

I want to ask them what they're talking about, but I can't seem to open my mouth, and it comes put like a sigh instead.

"Tory? Can you hear me?"

Someone is holding my hand, I realise now, and for some reason I think it must be - 

"Jason?" I mutter, and open my eyes to see Ben shoot to his feet and away from me. 

"Jason? What the-" he breaks off and turns away, muttering something as he runs his hand through his hair.

Great. I don't know what just happened, but it definitely impaired my mental ability for good.

"Uh- Tory? You OK?" Shelton is staring at me nervously from the deck of what must be a boat. A boat? Sewee, I guess. But - 

"How did we get here? What happened?"

Hi speaks up from the seat at the bow.
"Captain Incredible and his schizophrenic friend Mr Moody carried you over here. You passed out pretty bad, Tor."

"Mom", I remember, my hand going to my head, where an ache is starting to spread. "My mom - what happened?"

I'm looking at Hi, but it's Ben who answers. 

"It was a dummy, Tory. With a wig and a painted on face. I guess-" he breaks off, looks uncomfortable, "he knew you'd think- I mean, in the moment, at least - "

"He counted on me thinking of my mom straight away, and recognising the- Wait!"

I shot to my feet, too fast for Ben, who reached out to steady me.

"He had my necklace, Ben! My mom's necklace! I'm sure of it! I keep it - every day, I saw it this morning!"

"Whoa, Tory. He?"

I don't even bother to reply to that bit. I keep my eyes on Ben's and will him to believe me.

"It was my mom's necklace. She wore it everywhere. I've kept it on my dresser since I got here. So why-why would some dummy with my mom's face in an exploding car have it on if not to freak me out?"

No one answers. This is a twisted game we've tumbled into, and even with my mind still full of the images of the wreckage, I can't let myself think even one thing about my mom. That's what would distract me, that's what would get us all killed, and that's exactly what he would want.

The Gamemaster is back. And he's chosen us to play with again.