Chapter 7

We're sat around in Chance's secret attic, trying to talk about what happened last night. 

Don't judge. So it might not be like the bunker, but it's better than nothing. 

Claybourne Manor is pretty much back to normal. Gardeners and electricity men and - oh, wow, yeah that's a maid in black and white uniform polishing the windows.

What is this, 1905?

"It's what makes most sense." I bring my mind back to the present with an effort. "We know he's out there, we have our powers - why wouldn't we go after him?"

"I don't like it." Shelton, ear-tugging again. "Yesterday, we were flaring, we knew where he was and we still couldn't catch him."

Yesterday had been hell. Ben had made it down safe and waded back out to the shallows where Sewee waited, driven there by me. Once he got in the boat, he made for the Captain's chair without a word, and without a word I backed away. The route home had been undergone with the same enthusiasm about talking. And if the fear that the Gamemaster would try again, this time successfully, at any second hadn't been enough to make the journey awkward, my comment before did the trick.

Ben stretched, spoke for the first time.

"We weren't all flaring though, were we?"

And like that was the cue they had all been waiting for, all eyes turned to look at me.

"What?"

"Do you have any idea why?" I squirmed under Chance's scrutiny.

"No."

A pause. "Well, that was enlightening. You've been hormonal recently Tor? Anything wrong?"

My glare would have killed Hi, but that boy has pretty much an emotional forcefield around him.

Hi mused. "Too quiet. You're like a little Tory robot." He reached out and poked me."Nope, you're alive." He poked me again. "And moisturising well, apparently."

 I flicked Hi's hand off me. "I don't know why I can't flare, but it's not for lack of trying."

I won't look up, won't meet Ben's steady gaze. 

"Well, we need to work it out, Tory. But back to the Gamemaster - don't you think we ought to go out and get him? It beats waiting for him to get us."

I frown, look up at Chance.

"If we were operating at full strength, for sure. But I can't-"

"We can, though." I stare at Ben like he's punched me in the gut. He doesn't flinch, doesn't look away.

"It would be stupid to split up, Ben!"

"I'm not suggesting that."

"Well then, what are you-"

"I'm saying you don't have to come out looking at all, Victoria." He raises an eyebrow at my stunned silence. "What? Did you presume we couldn't work as a pack without you?" He's not looking for a reply, already turning to Chance. "Claybourne, your magic's working fine, right?"

Chance nods, darts a glance my way. "Whenever I want. And sometimes when I don't."

"Great. We'll go out - hunting - tonight. Back to the cliff where we saw him last. There's bound to be something out there he left which the wolf can see." Ben grins, and it makes me suddenly so angry I can talk again.

"And I'll - what?  Stay at home in my pyjamas and watch cartoons?"

Ben's face softens the tiniest bit.

"Tory, it was you he went after in the courtroom. It was you he shot at last night. If anyone's better off inside with some adult company, it's you."

I gape at him, barely able to believe my ears.

"So you're just going to go running off without me? Benjamin Blue, here to save the day - sounds familiar doesn't it?"

I can see by Ben's flinch that I've gone too far, crossed a line. 

"Say whatever you like. We're better off with you back home." I stiffen, stare at Ben.

"Without your flares, Victoria, you're just a liability."

And with that to see me off, I run out of the attic, keeping my tears to myself and shocking the 1900s maid as I rush past her.