Chapter II

Boise, Idaho—Present Day

"YOU EXCITED FOR CHRISTMAS?" Ellie was being annoying—her cheerful nature made me want to choke her sometimes. "Tomorrow is the big day. Have I told you how much I love it?"

"Yeah," I said, mustering boatloads of sarcasm. "Is it ever going to be great! Dad's off doing whatever he does that's more important than his family, Michael and I finally make it to our first Christmas together and we don't even get to see each other, and Kreios is gone, dead, who knows. And my mom is being an overprotective sadist."

"Wow, Miss Bucket Full of Sunshine." Ellie lay on the couch, playing with her phone.

"Well, why should I be happy?" I was sitting in Dad's overstuffed chair with my laptop, researching climbing gear. Dirk was practically stalking me now. He was not only in Mr. Dorsey's math class, but he also got lumped in with me in a junior elective course for physical fitness. We both hated it, so that was one thing we had in common. It was some stupid new presidential initiative for fighting youth obesity or something, which meant we had to earn more credits doing something active. There weren't many options that were attractive to me, so I chose the one I thought would at least be a little fun—winter sports. In this case, the class had a heavy emphasis on climbing, and it was fun because we got to go to a climbing gym to learn the fundamentals, like being on belay and rappelling.

Naturally, Dirk chose climbing too. Big surprise.

"What," Ellie said, interrupting my parade of vitriol and sadness. "Are you telling me you have absolutely nothing to be happy about?"

"You tell me," I shot back. "Mom and Dad have grounded me for life. They stopped short of telling me that I should break up with Michael. And to top it all off, he's been moody and depressing to be around."

"Yeah, I can see how that could suck, being around someone who's all depressing and moody."

I cursed under my breath. "Fine, make jokes at my expense. Mom is the High Priestess of Discipline. I think she forgot what it was like to be our age—er, I mean my age." I felt so disrespected sometimes, like they didn't get it, or worse, like they did get it but didn't care. I was pretty sure my mom felt one of two ways—either she didn't know how much Michael's emotional support meant to me, or she knew exactly how much it meant to me, which was why she was trying to keep us apart. Didn't she know she couldn't stop me from growing up? I felt like she thought I was breakable, that I would shatter in stiff wind.

"You did break your curfew," Ellie said in a whisper.

"Hey, whose side are you on, anyway?"

"I'm on my side, which is the right side, mind you. But we're not talking about me. Tell me what's up with your dad—missing Christmas is lame, especially with all the stuff that's been going on."

"Tell me about it. He's been gone a lot. Especially lately. It's like he's on some secret mission for the government or something." All I wanted was to move out early. Maybe then I would find out if my parents cared enough to notice if I was gone.

Ellie cocked an eyebrow at me. "The government? Do tell. Your dad work for the CIA or something?"

"Who cares? For all I know, he could be James freakin' Bond."

"He's certainly bold enough, tailing your sorry butt halfway across the world. Anyway, my bet is he's not a vacuum cleaner salesman." She laughed and eyed me when I didn't join her. "Oh. I see you're going to keep this sunshiny mood going. Fun."

"It's lots of fun to be grounded," I said.

"Well, you knew the consequences, right? And you blew right through 'em."

"Still, though."

"Still what? Your mum and dad are a little freaked out about you, and justifiably so, considering all that's happened. They told you what they expected from you. You disobeyed. Punishment is how you learn."

"Kindness leads to repentance," I countered.

She laughed loudly. "Yeah, but only if that kindness means something to the person on the receiving end. From what I can tell, you've been right pissed off at your parents for a couple of months now, ever since you got back. You've an axe to grind, my friend."

I glossed over the fact that she hadn't been back as long as I had. Or had she? "So?"

"I know 'furious vengeance' when I see it. That's all." She made air quotes.

I stewed. I said though my teeth very quietly, "Don't I have the right?"

"Psh. You're a child, mate. What do you know?"

I was shocked and allowed my jaw to fall onto the carpet. I probed my mind for She, but all I got was a sense that I was being mocked by the whole entire world. I felt stupid and undignified.

"I know what you're thinking," Ellie said, "even without trying to read your mind—'How dare you?' Am I right?"

I scowled. "I like you better when you act like a teenager; like my friend and not another parent. I already have two."

"I know you don't want any advice, but I'll give you some for free anyway. Calm yourself. Nobody owes you anything. When your life stops being all about you, adulthood can begin. But it won't until then. Try a little humility."

I stared at her for a full minute, trying to come up with one word to say to her. Kreios is gone and now I get his daughter lecturing me. Yay, Airel. Finally I said, "Let's talk about something else."

"Gladly," she said. "How about your little research project over there?" She pointed to my laptop. "Daydreaming about the climbing trip, are we?"

I wanted to ask her not to use such a condescending tone, but restrained myself. I knew I wouldn't get anywhere with her. "Actually, yeah." Our climbing guru, who told us to call him Shane, was a real laid-back expert who had been working with us at the gym. He was cool. He was going to take our class out to the cliffs along Highway 21 in a few weeks right outside of town and show us how it was done for real. So yes, I was daydreaming. It was the last exciting thing in my life at the moment. I wanted to tell Ellie it wasn't like there was anything else for me to do, but I was sure she would have more coals of red-hot wisdom to drop on my head if I tried.

"Well, I'm stoked about it, mate. I suppose I should have told you that I fully intend to crash your little field trip party."

I was not surprised to hear it, and though I tried to conceal my joy, I actually smiled. "Really?"

"Really, girlie. I figure senior skip day's in May, but I need an early reprieve. Besides, I hear Dirk will be there. I gotta keep him on the hook, if you know what I mean."

I rolled my eyes. "You're not even registered as a senior, Ellie, so never mind senior skip day, but you're planning on skipping in the middle of January? Why? Just cuz?"

She looked at me like it was obvious. "I like being around you. Even when you're grumps."

"Try again." But I smiled.

"I am bored out of my mind."

I groaned and threw a couch pillow at her. I stood up. "All right, weirdette. Hot chocolate or tea?"

"You know me. Earl Grey all the way."

I walked to the kitchen, and as I turned away from her, my eyes welled up. I was really glad I had her in my life. Even though she was exasperating, she was good for me. She was probably right about almost everything. She felt like family. And as I put the kettle on for her, I couldn't help wondering when—or if—I would ever see Kreios again.