Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Mary Joe’s POV

I was so happy when I saw Chance take the bait. I have always been the more daring of the two of us and knew exactly that he could not resist seeing her dressed that way. Well I guess the fact that we got him all hot and bothered all week helped.

I was looking at him kiss her it looked like he was devouring her. I felt like it got a lot warmer out here. Oh shit I see her body go limp and. I run to them “bring her in the house now.”

He runs after me carrying her and we get her to her room. I pull out her blood sugar machine and the lancet, alcohol swab, gauze and test strip. I clean her finger with the alcohol and use the lancet to prick her finger. I put a test strip in the machine and add a drop of her blood to it. When the machine beeps I see that her blood sugar was very low.

She must have gotten so excited today that she must not have eaten.

I run to the kitchen for some orange juice and add sugar to it. I run back in the room “ can you hold her up while I try to get her to drink this.”

Chance sits on the bed in back of her and leans her on his chest. I try to wake her enough so she can drink. After a couple of seconds she starts to come around little by little enough to drink.

I look up at Chance who has a worried look on his face. “She has type 1 diabetes. Some times if she forgets to eat and if she bottoms out her sugar drops so low and well you see what happens.”

He looks at me “How long has she had it?”

“Well you see it’s type 1, that means since she was a kid.”

“Is she going to be ok?”

I smile “yea, she hardly ever passes out. I think the combination of not eating and that hot ass kiss you gave her just threw her over the edge.” I smirk at him and he blushes.

“She really likes you. But if all you want is a good time with her just let her be. She’s been through a lot and I don’t want to see her hurt.”

“My intentions are honorable believe me. She scared the hell out of me when she went limp in my arms.”

“I knew it couldn’t have been my irresistible charm that did her in.”

I could tell he was joking to lighten his worry because he said it smiling but it did not reach his eyes.

I smile at him “do you want to stay with her while I go finish up in the barn, she‘ll stay asleep till her sugar goes back up ?”

He smiles sheepishly “if you don’t mind seeing as I’m partly responsible.”

I laugh “cool I’ll be in the barn.”

As I make my way out side I stop by dad’s room to make sure he’s ok. The old man was still sleeping. I bend over and kiss his cheek. I can’t help but notice that he’s getting up in age. I remember when I was a little girl he looked like the strongest man in the world.

Losing mama two years ago seems to have aged him so fast. He just started working himself hard hoping to keep busy and not think about mama as much I guess.

I walk out to the barn thinking poor Chance has been doing so much work around here along with Luke. Leah and I have to step up our game. We have been spending most of our time trying to get a rise out of Chance that we haven’t even been working much.