Aftermath

Everything hurt. There was an ache buried deep in his bones and his muscles felt stiff and sore. He lay on a cool, smooth surface and he felt the light weight of his shades pressing around his eyes. He lay completely still, keeping his eyes shut and his breathing even and deep. He could hear voices, anxious whispering and nervous shuffling. Where was he? Certainly not in his bed at the Cave. Had he been taken by the aliens? No, the aliens didn't take hostages. What had happened? The last thing he remembered was telling M'gann good-night, of sitting up with Carter and Eva, of finally falling asleep. Suddenly the mood of the room shifted, the murmurings stopped and he heard a dreary, "...huh?" M'gann. Peeling back his eyelids, he blinked at the too bright light, propping himself wearily on one arm. His eyes suddenly widened in alarm, no, no, no. Impostors, they were dead! They were DEAD! He'd watched them die! He'd seen- They weren't real. They were... it was a trick. It was just a trick. Just a trick. Oh, poor M'gann, she wouldn't see it. She wouldn't see that it was a trick. She- she wouldn't see... Keeping his eyes lowered to the floor-he didn't want to see those creatures that looked like his friends-he slid off the stone slab he had been laying on. His legs shook unsteadily and out of his peripheral he saw a black, gloved hand reach out for his arm. Lurching away, he felt his hip hit the slab and his head tilt strangely to the side, nausea engulfed his stomach.  Thin strands of black hair hung in his eyes and clung wetly to his face, sudden shivers wracked his body, causing him to tilt even more on his course to M'gann. The martian still looked confused and sleepy, but he could see that tiny bit of wonder and relief and joy beginning to creep into her expression. It was a trick. Just a trick. He urged his feet to move faster, to reach her, the whispers in the room grew from an uneasy murmur to a clamor, pressing harshly on his ears. He was almost there, her stone slab almost... almost... almost...He blacked out seeing her face open in a wonderfully beautiful way. 

                                                                                ___________

     3 weeks. 21 days. 504 hours. 30,240 minutes. Since he had woken in the medbay at the Cave with a worried Miss Martian hovering over him. Since reality had dropped onto him like a weight, and he'd realized everyone was dead. Since four more alien mother ships had descended on Earth and the world still hadn't lost hope. Since he'd decided to do his best for the mission, just like Batman had taught him. They still didn't have a strategy. He and Miss Martian spent just a day grieving before contacting the world and calling together any loose hero organizations for a meeting. The Hall of Justice had been destroyed, so they gathered in the Cave, all 16 of them. As Robin saw the group, he felt his resolve slipping, these ragtag heroes couldn't possibly save the world. But they had to try. They had to try. 

     They were herded into the open area of the gym, and they all hushed as Robin began to speak. "There will be only one more chance to save Earth. That chance is you. Everyone else has failed, barely any have survived, but we have to try. With the right strategy, with the right plan, I believe we can outwit them and begin the process of rebuilding. The world has not given up hope in us, hope that once again we will save the day. So we have to fight. We're heroes, that's what we do.                         You will begin training immediately, and live and work in the Cave until we are ready to attack. We have divided you into three, separate teams. Each team will choose a leader who will monitor the team's progress and relay any battle strategies to us. Please refer to the lists on the far wall for your group members." The room erupted in the noise of people talking, and whispering, and moving. M'gann stood behind him, placing a comforting hand on his arm, and he turned to her. Tears welled in the corners of her eyes, and her voice shook, "Soon it will be over." He nodded silently, "Soon."