Chapter 5 - Biology

• Dedicated to Raven Sara Smith

Just a quick note to say that I'm sorry I haven't posted in ages!! I wasn't quite sure what was going to happen next and I didn't really have the urge to write. But now as it is the summer holidays (for me, anyway) I will be writing as much as possible!! If it is not too much to ask could you please tell you friends to read and make sure you vote when you can? It really helps me and encourages me to try and write more. Feel free to leave any positive feedback or constructive criticism in the comments and I will try and answer it!! Thanks,

Swifty118247

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Chapter 5 - Biology

"So Callum, what is this word equation demonstrating?" Mr Highland’s voice echoed around the room. "I'm starting to think that you would rather be doing something else!" The teacher walked around to the bench in front of Callum, staring at him. Callum looked up and jumped slightly. "Are you okay?"

"Yes I'm fine, just a little dazed is all."

"Well, do you know the answer then?" the teacher asked, gesturing with his hands at the whiteboard. Callum turned his eyes to the board. Carbon dioxide + water = oxygen and glucose? What was it? He closed his eyes, trying hard to remember what it was. I should know this! If it’s taking in carbon dioxide, then it must be a plant. That it!

"Photosynthesis sir!" The class sniggered as he said this.

“Correct!”

Callum sighed, thinking that he had got away with it.

“But I still need to speak to you at the end of the lesson!” Mr Highland added, and Callum’s heart sank.   Damn it, he thought, sighing in annoyance.  The teacher turned away and walked up to the front by the desk and began to talk to the class again. Callum tried to concentrate but found that his mind was pre-occupied about what had happened the night before. What if they find it? What will they do to me? Don’t think like that, Callum scolded himself.

The rest of the lesson went by in a similar blur, and Callum thought longingly of when the day would be over, despite the dread he faced of going home in case his parents found out. He was tired and when the end of the lesson came, he swiftly began to walk outside, avoiding eye contact with his teacher and fellow students. Callum was halfway down the hallway to freedom when the teacher’s voice lassoed him, dragging him warily back to the classroom. By now, Mr Highland knew something was wrong.  Normally, Callum was focused in lessons and often stayed behind at the end to help to tidy up.

A year ago when Callum’s parents had first moved here, they had dumped him into the school without him getting to know anyone. Callum wasn’t very dependent on other people, and so they assumed that he would be okay. In a lot of ways, he was. But as you can imagine, being the new student wasn’t easy. For the first week, he had walked around aimlessly trying to find his class. That was when he had met Mr Highland.

Mr Highland had been outside his classroom dealing with one of his students when he had first noticed the boy walking around. He’d looked at his watch in confusion. Lesson one began ten minutes ago. He had sent the student back inside and went over to speak to the boy.

“Excuse me, do you know where the English department is?” The boy had asked politely.

“New student?”

“Was I that obvious?”  Callum’s lips had pulled into a relieved smile.

“Yes, and the English department is upstairs. I’ll take you there now if you want?”

“Sure. Thanks. My name is Callum.”

“I’m Mr Highland and I teach biology here. Follow me.”

After that day, Callum had often come to speak to him if he was lost or needed advice. This year, Callum was in his class and was one of the best students. But recently he had noticed a change. The boy was still polite and hard-working, but he often seemed distant. As if he would rather be alone, almost.

Mr Highland extended a hand, offering Callum a chair directly in front of the teacher’s desk. They both sat down.

“What’s wrong? I’ve notice recently that you have been quite distant, and your marks have decreased slightly.”

“Nothing sir, I just don’t feel very well at the minute.”

“Okay, but are you sure there is nothing wrong? Any problems at home?”

“No sir.”

“Good. You can go now, but make sure that you concentrate in lessons. I don’t want my star student to be falling behind.” The boy stood up, crossed the room and left. Mr Highland sighed. He knew there was something wrong. Domestic violence? No, Callum wasn’t a violent person. Oh well, I’d better not meddle in things that don’t concern me, he concluded.  Mr Highland stood up and shook his head, clearing the boy from his mind. He turned around and began to wipe the board clean.

In the hallway, Callum stopped and turned around, looking back at the classroom. He felt a deep guilt for being that way with Mr Highland. He was a great teacher and had helped him out of a few situations over the past year, and Callum knew had no right to treat him this way. Callum turned again and began to walk back down the corridor.