Chapter 1

CHAPTER ONE: IRIS

I've been meaning to say it for a long time now...

When Sebastian and Alexander opened the door to the bedroom --MY bedroom-- I was reminded once again of how lucky I was to have the two of them. I didn't deserve their kindness, especially after the way I've been acting this past week, but they still gave it to me no holds barred. I'm not blind; I know I've been depressed, and I know that they're worried about me, but it's all just so... hard! I had gotten so used to being alone, relying on no one but myself, that to have these two amazing people come into my life and completely accept and love me for who I am... I guess I'm still expecting the bubble to burst and for one of them to get sick of me. Even though they've proven themselves to me time and time again... It's all just too good to be true! People like Sebastian and Alexander don't just show up out of the blue and take in people like me, no strings attached; it doesn't work like that. And yet, here I am in this gorgeous house with a full view of the ocean, sitting on my new bed playing my mom's violin, while the two most important people in my life watch over me and listen...

It's all just too wonderful for me to take in! Which is why I have to tell them, and soon...

********************************************************************************************************************

I'm not sure how long I was playing my violin for. Long enough for the two of them to leave and come back. Sebastian put a hand on my shoulder startling me out of the trance I always fall into when I play my music. I looked up and was surprised by the angle the sun was hitting him. It was later than I thought!

"I'm sorry to have to interrupt you, little one, but it's getting late. You missed lunch, and Alexander and I've made dinner. So if you're hungry..."

He trailed off. I haven't been hungry all week. I don't know why, but I just can't seem to get my appetite back. Still, I tell him that I am and follow him downstairs to the dining room where the table was set with salads and pasta and bread. Of course there wasn't any meat at the table. The brothers have cut down on the amount of previously-living material they've been putting in their stomachs ever since I told them I was a vegetarian, even though I told them I didn't mind the fact that they weren't vegetarians, they've insisted in changing up their diets. I have to admit though, it's pretty flattering of them to do all this.

We sit down to eat dinner, and Sebastian fills my plate for me. I know he won't be satisfied unless I eat everything he puts there, which is a lot less than what he puts on his plate which was even less than the mountain of food that Alexander heaped on his plate. Just seeing all that food makes my stomach do back flips. But I resolve myself to eat just so as not to make them worry about me. All throughout dinner, Sebastian and Alexander are sharing stories about some of their first days in this house. I smile watching the two of them bicker over something Sebastian wanted to tell me.

"DO NOT TELL HIM THAT!"

"Little one, the look on his face was priceless--"

"WHAT DID I JUST SAY?!"

"W-What happened?"

I think they were relieved that I was speaking because Sebastian's eyes lit up (I love his eyes! They're this pretty blue-hazel color that shift when the light changes) and Alexander stopped making a big fuss out of it. Although he did start pouting...

"Well, you see, we never saw the ocean before we lived here; never saw a beach or walked in the waves or anything! Well, Alexander was really excited to try that thing where you put a seashell to your ear and you can hear the sound of waves crashing? So, the first shell he sees, he lifts it up to his ear, not thinking to look inside to check if anything was in there. And as it turned out, there was a hermit crab living inside the shell! And when Alexander put the shell to his ear, well..."