CBTBB - Chapter 29 - Gregory

Tay and Greg hanging out in the bathroom!!

I absolutely hate her!

I am usually very passive, so I am startled by my own hateful thought. Although I can't stand the worry in Tay's eyes, I still reach out and pat his hand while the nurse cleans the blood from my cheek. If he were a cartoon character, I am sure there would be steam coming out of his ears. According to the nurse, Veronica only scrapped the top layers off my skin; if she had dug in her fingers a little harder she might have caused some serious damage to my cheek. The downside is that I shouldn't speak too much until the wounds are fully healed.

Rafa on the other hand looks apologetic; although Nance assured him it wasn't really his fault. Well, it is partly his fault and to make amends he had taken it upon himself to call mom or dad and tell them what happened. Mom of course went ballistic, thankfully dad managed to calm mom down enough to let him agree to Tay driving me home.

"You are ready to go." The nurse said smiling as he finished taping the gaze to my left cheek. "Try not to yawn or poke at it with your tongue. And I know it is hard but try not to sleep on that cheek." Without further ado, we were ushered from the infirmary.

The drive was a silent one, Tay most likely preparing himself for mom's famous wrath. "It is not your fault you know." I turn slightly so I could look at him and pet the hand that is resting on the gearstick.

He looks at me out of the corner of his eye, mouth quirking upwards and squeezing my hand. "I thought you weren't suppose to talk?" He looks at me with a raised brow before turning his attention back to the road. He sighs "but still, I feel responsible somehow. You are lucky it's not going to leave a scar with the way he was digging in her nails."

When we arrive at the house, Tay really needs to work to get me out of the car. I am not looking forward to mom being overprotective and hovering around me. Sure enough, as soon as I set one foot out of the car mom throws open the door and stomps down the drive. "Where is she?" He roars, making both Tay and I flinch at the sound. "Where is that bitch?! I will kill her!" I am glad when dad arrives and manhandles mom back inside, away from the curious and prying eyes of our neighbours.

Once mom finally calmed down, we managed to explain it all, why Veronica was so mean to Nance, the fact that Rafael chose Nance over her didn't sit well with her after he always fooled around with her when he was in his previous relationships. Mom glared at Tay when he explained that now Rafael met Nance, he was different. He no longer looked at anyone else but her. He always cuddles with her and she met his parents, something he has never done on his own accord.

"And what about you?" Mom asked, glaring at Tay. "The way she said that you and Rafa were always hanging out with her suggests that you too fooled around with her." I too didn't miss the implications of her words when she said them. He is not going to deny them. My heart seizes painfully as Tay lets the silence stretch.

"I never fooled around with her." He says eventually, not looking up at anybody but pressing his thumbnails in his palm. "I was too busy making sure that Julian left Syl alone or get him off my back." Mom snorts shaking his head, clearly not believing Tay. To be honest, I am not too sure I believe him either. "She is cute, but she isn't my type at all. I do not need another manipulative woman in my life." My heart stutters a little at the jab at his mother, he clearly is still feeling betrayed by her. He gets up from his seat, "If that is all, I need to go. I promised Syl we'd go shopping today." He smiles a little sadly at me before he walks out of the house.

I rush after him, only to see the taillights of his Fiat disappear down the road. "It will be okay Queirdo." I look up as dad rubs my shoulders, not too sure if I believe it. Needless to say, I slept badly that night, the pain in my cheek came back with a vengeance, despite the painkillers I took before going to bed.