Chapter Two Interrogation

The soldier didn't lower his musket. I almost couldn't move. Isaac stood motionless looking at the soldier. Zeb was looking at my father.
  "Sons of Liberty? Are they a new work Union? Never heard of them! What's their trade?" My father said quickly.
  "Rebellion is their trade, sir. Anonymous persons have told my legion that you are one of them," the soldier said, not lowering the gun.
  "Why would they think I was a rebel? I've payed my taxes, I've done what I should. Why me?" My father seemed blameless.
"You don't sell tea in your store, Byers.  That's a mark of a rebel," the soldier said sternly.
  My father laughed. "That's a good one,  sir! No tea no loyalty eh? That's ridiculous. For a while there was no tea to sell because of those hooligans who dumped it all into the harbor!"
   My father shot Zeb a sideways glance and Zeb turned around quickly. He had been one of those who had dumped the tea years ago.
  "Also, there have been confirmed Sons coming into your store at night and not coming out for hours!" The soldier yelled.
  "Buying specialized goods and having a nice drink at the end of a long day! Can't blame a fellow for that, sir!" My father was smiling a good natured smile.
  "Don't play dumb, Byers!" The soldier yelled. "You are one of them and we know it! Meetings at your store! Participation in protests!"
  "You have the wrong man I assure you!" My father said seriously.
  "I'm sorry, sir," I spoke up, "but loaded fire arms are not allowed in the store. Please lower your weapon or leave."
  The soldier stared at me with cold grey eyes, trying to catch me if I was lying.
  "Maybe get that rule posted, lassie," he snapped, pointing his gun at me now.
  I ran and grabbed the piece of parchment with the store rules written on it. I showed it to the soldier, who looked at it. In his anger of the true existence of the rule, he seized the paper, threw it onto the floor, and stomped on it.
  "That is property of the store, sir!" Isaac spoke up. "You will need to pay for that!"
  "There is no law that forbids the destruction of the property of a colonist by a British officer," the soldier said matter of factly.
  I was ready to smack him.
  "Officer? You're an officer! Well aren't I stupid! I could have sworn you were a stable boy for some lowly infantryman!" Isaac taunted.
"Watch your mouth little brat or I will shoot!" The soldier threatened, turning his gun to Isaac.
I looked to Zeb, who was starting to panic.
  "Sir, no loaded weapons in the store please! It is a rule!" I said holding up a copy of the original paper.
  "Your insignificant corner store rules and stupid childish blabbering has set me behind on my mission!" The soldier said pointing his gun at both Isaac and me. "Byers, you are a Son of Liberty and a traitor who belongs on the gallows!"
  "I am not, and I deserve a fair trial to prove my innocence!" My father said, still calmly.
   Just then Dolly and Constance came skipping into the room.
  "Papa, we-" Dolly said cheerfully, but I shushed her and shooed her away.
   They didn't budge.
  "Who's he?" Dolly asked loudly, pointing to the soldier and jumping up and down, her bright blue eyes full of innocence and her fair hair flying behind her.
  "He's got a gun, Dolly!" Constance whispered fearfully.
  "There are more pathetic whipper snappers, Byers? How many?" The soldier asked shaking his gun.
  "Why is it your business, sir?" My father asked.
  "You and your family keep to themselves for the most part. The only children people ever see are the girl with the big mouth and the two boys, but now these two little girls. How many more are there? You do not have the right to ignore this question!" The soldier roared.
"There is the lovely Liza, with whom you are aquatinted, Eleanor, a girl of 11, Constance is the dark haired one right here, Dolly is the golden haired one, Billy is a boy of 5 years, Therese is a little girl of 3, and Benedict is my youngest son, not more than a year," my father told the truth bravely.
"What about your wife and that old man who seems to be in your store quite often?" The soldier asked.
"My beautiful wife Aileen, who comes from Ireland, and my own father William Byers, who my son was named for. Those are all who live here, sir. Now you seem to be frightening the children sir, please be off," my father said dismissively.
"You are in alliance with the Sons of Liberty, Byers. I just know it, but if you will not confess yourself, we will be watching!" The soldier stormed out of the store and slammed the door.
When that door slammed everyone kept holding their breathe until the soldier had galloped away on his horse and was out of sight. I finally let out my breath and looked at Zeb.
"Constance, Dolly, please go help your mother in the kitchen," My father said, still looking at Zeb.
"Yes Papa," they said in unison.
Once the little girls were out of the room, Zeb slammed his fists down on the table angrily.
"Zeb?" I asked, puzzled.
His face was red and his beautiful eyes flared with anger, not at me or anyone in the room, the British and himself.
"Zebulun, it's not your fault," my father said, placing a hand on his shoulder.
"I am a danger to you and your family, Mr. Byers! I almost got you shot right here!" He shouted angrily.
"What? Zeb? How is this you?" Isaac asked.
"I'm a Son," he whispered, staring at the ground.
"Zebulun, you know I am too. Don't go blaming yourself. I need to be more careful. You of course do too, but you haven't done anything!" My father said.
"I know I'm the one who led him here! We need to leave here with your whole family! It's the only way to escape with our lives!" Zeb was getting serious.
"No, Zebulun. We are all staying. If we left they would know and try to find us. It's better to live like we have nothing to hide at this point," my father said calmly. "Go back to your work, all of you."
Zeb returned to his stacking and Isaac to his records, which he struggled with. Finally my father got annoyed with how slow Isaac was.
"Boys, please switch jobs."
"Papa, what should I be doing?" I asked.
"I want you to deliver these to the Sons," he said handing me a stack of letters. "Hide them in your petticoats, and do not get caught!"