Chapter Nineteen Standing Again

When I returned home, it was midday.
"Just stay home from work today," My father persuaded me, "I'll write to the Harolds, they will understand."
I did not argue of course, even if I knew they would give me hell if I skipped. I was not too afraid.
Zeb came in. "Everyone in town is pretty torn up about Doctor Warren," he said.
"Edes liked him very much," my father said. "You were gone a while, Zebulun. Did you strike up a conversation with his apprentice?"
"Yes," Zeb said, turning red.
"And what would this conversation be about?" My father asked with a suspicious smirk.
"The militia," Zeb said guiltily.
My father laughed. He was obviously not letting the news of the doctor's death ruin his whole day like we were. We worked in the shop in silence for the rest of the day. Zeb and I were left alone in the store after supper. Eleanor would have come to bug us because she was so excited to see Zeb again, but my mother kept her on a schedule.
"Does Isaac know about the doctor?" I asked.
"I told him," Zeb said plainly. "He was sad of course, but he took it surprisingly well."
"That's good," I said, impressed.
"I ought to go outside and spend the night out with him. I haven't done that in a while."
  "Alright, but don't get caught," Zeb warned.
  I made my way out to the back of the house to find him wide awake under the porch.
"Evening, Isaac," I said as cheerfully as I could.
"Oh hey, Liza," he said.
"So you heard what happened at Bunker hill?" I asked.
"We lost," he said blankly.
"Yes, we lost," I said. "But I'm sure this isn't the last battle."
"Exactly! I need to have another shot  at fighting!" He said passionately.
"Have you been feeling better lately?" I asked.
"Of course! I'm just so tired of lying here day after day! I can try walking with the crutch," he said sitting up.
"Let me help you," I said, fearing that he would re-injure himself.
I grabbed his good hand and pulled. He propelled himself off the ground enough so I could grab his middle. Finally he was up, leaning on me.
"Your crutch is around in the side yard," I said.
"I'll just wait here. You get it," he said, putting his good hand on the house.
I ran to the side yard and found the crutch. I ran it back to Isaac very quickly.
"Thanks, Liza," he said taking it rapidly.
"You're sure you're strong enough to try this?" I asked.
"Of course! If Doctor Warren could just give up his life I can try walking and breathing in some fresh air!" Isaac said. The fact that he was this riled up worried me, but I need not crush his spirit.
He had the crutch under his left arm. He could put weight on his right leg. This was kind of an awkward position to maneuver in.
"Lean on me if you need to," I said.
"I want to try by myself. You won't always be there to be a strong rock to lean on," he smiled.
"Who said I won't be?" I asked, smiling.
"A girl can't join the army," He smirked.
"Neither can a boy who can't even stand up," I smiled gently but knowingly.
"I can stand up," he said tersely, "If you would let me."
"Don't fall," I said gravely as I stepped away.
He leaned on the crutch. All his weight seemed to be on it. Then he got a determined look on his face. I recognized it from the night he had left for the Lexington. The night that led to the downfall in all of our lives. He pushed on his good leg and tried to straighten himself. Even his good leg was weak because he hadn't stood up for so long. He pushed and struggled until he was upright. He smiled proudly, as if he had just won a battle, which he had, in a way. I could tell he tried to put a little bit of weight onto his wounded leg. Tears of pain came to his eyes, but he kept smiling. I was overcome with happiness.
  "You're standing!" I cried with glee. "Yes! Yes! Yes!"
  "Yes!" He shouted back.
  I ran across the yard to him and tried to hug him. However, I'm very short and I did not want to pull him off balance, so I stopped.
"Oh come here, you!" He laughed, pulling me in anyway.
His legs wobbled after just a second.
"Does this hurt?" I asked as we hugged.
"Like hell," he laughed painfully. "I don't want to crush you though. I'll stand."
"No," I said, "I've got you."
"So, I can stand again!" He whooped.
"I honestly feared you wouldn't!" I shouted enthusiastically. "But of course you have to defy all odds!"
"Honestly, Liza, I would be dead without you. I wouldn't be defying odds if it weren't for you," he said, hugging me tighter.
"The doctor would be proud of you," I said.
"He would?" He asked.
"Of course," I smiled.
"I owe a lot to him too," He said quietly.
"We all do," I whispered.
Just then his legs gave out and we both tumbled to the ground.
"Isaac!" I yelped.
"Liza, are you alright?" He asked, concerned.
"Yes, you?" I panicked.
"I'm perfect," he laughed.
I looked at this leg.
"You're bleeding again!" I cried.
"Leave it," he smiled. "I'm fine."
"No you're not!" I protested. "Have you reopened the wound?! Does it hur-"
"Nothing hurts, Liza," He said, twisting my hair playfully and getting me lost in his deep brown eyes. "Don't you run off into a frenzy for my sake. I'll be just fine. Come on, let's just relax here in the grass like we used to."
He reclined lazily and patted the spot next to him and I took it. He put his good arm around me and pulled me closer to him. I nuzzled in comfortably. The sun was setting, the light fading.
"Liza, I have something important to tell you that I've been afraid to say for so long because I don't want you to take it the wrong way and make things awkward between us," He said seriously.
He was going to confess his love for me! I was ready to squeal like a little pig with delight.
"You can tell me anything," I smiled, looking into his beautiful eyes.
"Liza Byers," he said, blushing, "I...love you."
I felt dizzy and light headed in the best way. I was bursting with joy and it was like I could never be sad ever again. I was happier than I had ever been.
"I feel the same way!" I almost screamed happily.
"You see, you're the best! I mean, I couldn't ask for a better best friend! Thank you so much for not making this awkward and making it romantic or anything! Now I know I have nothing to fear!" He smiled, relieved.
WHAT?! My heart which had felt like it was filled with air and had seemed to have wings a second ago seemed like it had just been deflated. He loved me, but not in the same way I loved him. Why do we ever get our hopes up? Why do we have feelings? This seemed to physically pain me, and I was angry with myself for this. I knew I should not be angry with him or with anyone, but I couldn't help it.
"I love you, Isaac," I muttered, smiling sadly.
"And I you, Liza," he smiled.
He looked at me in such a way that killed me. Much to my dismay, tears were welling up in my eyes.
"Oh Liza," he laughed, "You're crying again! What is with this overflow of emotions you always have?"
"You wouldn't understand," I said, trying not to full on cry. I kept my smile plastered to my face. "Boys never do."
"Aww, you know I hate seeing you cry," he teased. "Thanks to you I can stand again, something even I wasn't sure would ever happen. I guess I need to just get a little stronger and then I can join the army!"
"Don't join that army, Isaac," I said quietly.
"Honey, um-I mean Liza," he stuttered and then burst out laughing. He collected himself and gave me a beautiful smile, "This whole experience has made me stronger. You have made me very strong. The fact that you've held a job, your family, dealt with the loss of Doctor Warren, you've been giving me food every night, keeping me alive, if only I could do the same for you."
"Stay alive," I smiled, tears escaping my eyes, "That would be enough."
Isaac took his hand and wiped a tear off my cheek. "Stop crying," he said with a clueless smile. He took my cap off my head and put his. "Come on, let's just have a nice night."
I couldn't help but laugh at the ruffles. "You're such a goof," I chuckled, trying to swallow my tears.
"Now," he joked, "Stay outside all night with this goof?"
"Of course," I smiled.
He tightened his loving, "friendly" grip on me as we lay in the grass. I nestled in. I was comfortable, but the fact that he didn't mean anything more than a friendship by this was unbearable. Despite this, I stayed outside all night with him. He played with my hair and gave me the occasional squeeze until he fell asleep after just a few minutes of silence. He didn't see me cry for hours after he went to sleep.