chapter 1

chapter 1:
          m a g n e t s

        Adley Rose Heap, yet again, found herself running. This time, however, it was not from her past, or the people she loved, but from something that she couldn't escape. A vicious beast.

"Mickey!" she shouted playfully, nearly falling onto her back as the large dog jumped, pushing on her side with two soft paws. "I liked you so much more before you became fat." She teased, rubbing her hand up his fur-covered stomach. The animal panted with anticipation as her hand came between his front two legs, before scratching a bit. He jumped to his feet, running quick laps around the dog park as Adley rose from her hunched over position and resting a hand on her hip.

She thought about how the clumsy dog had fallen into her hands, the two meeting at the loneliest point of her life, somehow. Through all losses she had suffered, her breakup with Barry led to the separation of her and the rest of her friends, leaving her completely alone. Until, Finn showed up on her doorstep with a puppy the size of a grapefruit.

So now, she didn't have a boyfriend, unless you counted the husky as a romantic partner, which, the lines had been blurred. They had similar interest in plain pasta, making them a great pair.

Soon, Mickey was put back on a leash, much to his dismay, and the two began walking back out of the entrance of the park in the direction of her apartment.

"Shit," she muttered. Mickey whined, looking up to her with his head cocked. It was Flash Day, and within sight was already a large crowd, and Joe West. Unfortunately, their eyes were already met. He raised a hand to point to her, making her known to Cisco who sat beside him. She bit her lip, bending down and rubbing Mickey's head before lightly jogging over to them.

"Oh hello, boy," Cisco greeted the dog first, Mickey immediately placing his paws on Cisco's hips, grinning in the weird way that dogs do.

"Mickey!" Adley grasped his legs, putting him back on the ground. "Bad." Mickey whined, licking her hand, and nuzzling against it. "Hello, guys."

"I think the dog wants you to forgive him," Joe joked, looking at the pouting pup beside her.

"How've you been?" Cisco asked as Adley leaned down to console her pet. "I see you've got a dog."

"Yep, lost all my friends," she answered stalely, Mickey licking her cheek. He was used to seeing her smile after that, pressing his nose to her cheek and breathing heavily. "I'm fine, boy."

"We all lost each other," Cisco frowned. His eyes weren't on her, but behind her, where Caitlin stood. He then turned to Joe.  "Wha'd'ya think Barry's gonna say when he finds out Adley's taken?" he teased, gesturing to where the dog rested his head on Adley's shoulder.

Her eyes widened looking up to Cisco, and just then the mayor of Central City began to speak.  "I have to go."

"No," Cisco grasped her arm, keeping her from running off.  "Stay."

"Cisco I—" Her lips closed tightly as the scarlet speedster appeared on the stage.  He smiled through his mask, and Adley couldn't help but do the same.  And then his eyes were on her.  His smile visibly tightened, her breath caught in her chest for just a moment before his eyes drifted elsewhere, though both their bodies stiffened as the sounds of screams filled the air.  Barry immediately dashed the mayor out of the way, over to the direct spot Adley was standing.

"Are you hurt?" he asked her, it almost appearing like a reflex.  Her mouth opened and closed, Barry settling for a yes before bringing his heroics elsewhere.  She looked around, observing the chaos she couldn't convince someone she hadn't missed.  She again got down to her pup's level, letting go of his leash.  She looked around the park, spotting a tree in the far distance.

The dog's gaze followed her finger as she pointed to it, "Go!" she yelled, and he bolted in that direction, Adley feeling herself calm a bit when he planted himself right at the bottom of the designated tree, curling into a ball and resting his eyes.  She turned to Cisco, "He's a big idiot."

"A good dog, you mean," Cisco smiled, before turning back to the situation at hand. 

"How can I help?" she asked him promptly. 

Cisco searched her eyes for a moment before frowning.  "Get me a minute?" She nodded, cowering behind Joe before thrusting her hands forward, blasts of energy sending his head downwards in pain and Cisco ran around the back of the police car.  The masked figure groaned, looking up and growling.

"Cisco!" Joe shouted, "Boot!"

"Got it.  I'm on it!" Cisco scrambled around to the front, handing a clunky gun to the officer.  Joe shot it, and with a flash there was a car boot around the offender's ankle.

"Question," Adley pursed her lips, "Is that supposed to stop him?" Cisco frowned as it didn't, but instead caused him to grow with bolts of electricity snaking up his limbs.   Adley rolled her neck before again sending waves of energy towards him, though this time they had little effect.

"Adley!" Joe stomped his food.

"I'm sorry!  I've been out of action for around six months!" She cried, exerting just a bit more energy, before everything was gone.  She opened her eyes and she was beside Mickey, just like that.  Her nose instantly turned up as a familiar set of ashy skid marks burned into the grass in front of her. 

        "Barry, why can't you just talk to me?" Adley asked with frustration.

"You'll never know what it's like," Barry frowned, unable to meet her gaze. 

"How could I even try if you refuse to talk about it?  Barry, I understand loss, alright?"

"I think it's best if you leave me."

She looked down.  "Do you really think that?"

He gulped.  "I do."

She twiddled with her thumbs, considering her plays.  She slung her bag over her shoulder, looking at him across the table.  His eyes were still elsewhere, his mind elsewhere.  "Then I respect that.  Come find me when you need someone, Barry."

"Will do," she smiled sadly, turning on her heel and exiting the room. 

        The instant she was home, Mickey pawed around before finding the couch and beginning his daily ritual of shedding all over it.  She looked down to her phone, surprised to find a text.

You back in?
-cisco

She sighed, rubbing her thumb over the illuminated words before she looked out the window at Central City, her beautiful city that she couldn't believe she called home. Her fingers flew over the keys.

Of course.
-a.r.h