Chapter 6: Double Trouble

Bernice

I was at work in my office. My door was open so I could see some men pass by. I could swear one of them was Richard. I must be tripping I thought to myself. But how many light skin guys with dreads do you see walking around this office? Not many or at all. I shook my head reverting my attention back to my computer screen. I haven't seen Richard since he attacked me and I'd like to keep it that way. He was something in my past who's no longer a worry. I'm pretty sure that fight with Dave helped to keep him away.

I held my wrist up looking at the time on my Rolex. I was now off. I turned the computer off then gathered all my stuff up. I walked out of my office then stopped at my assistants desk. "I'm out, so you can leave to."

"Okay, thank you. Oh and the execs came by my desk today. They said they might be signing a new artist. They want you to do a little research on him first and tell them your opinion. If you think he's marketable or not. Basically, if they should pass or keep him."

"What's his name?"

"Dang it, I suck at names. It was like a play on words.." She looked through her stuff on her desk pulling out a sticky note. "Oh, Robb Banks! Like robbing a bank. Get it?" She said smiling while my whole face fell.

My heart started beating fast and I could feel an anxiety attack coming on. "I have to go!" She looked at me confused as I rushed out. I went to the parking garage going to my car. As soon as I got in I broke down crying. I finally got over him and our fucked up relationship and he pops back up. I just want him to go away.

Dave

I was baby proofing the condo because it was a requirement to have done to adopt Malachi. I was in the bathroom doing the cabinets when I heard a door slam. I came out to see Bernice storming in. "What's wrong with you?" I asked stopping her by putting my hand on her waist as she was about to walk passed me. I pecked her lips with no reaction from her. She was fuming.

"Richard was up at the Def Jam offices today. They might be signing him. He's doing this on fucking purpose, I know it!" She said touching her forehead.

"Babe, I don't like him just as much as you do...but maybe he's just trying to get signed. Maybe he doesn't know you work there. You haven't been working there long."

"There's no fucking way! He would tell me all the time he would never sign with some mainstream major label like that. It's not him. He would never! He's doing this to fuck with me!"

"Did he see or talk to you?"

"I don't know if he saw me, but we didn't talk."

"Then calm down for now. Who's to say he'll even sign. If he does and he becomes a problem you'll get a restraining order because I damn sure can't fight him again. I can't get arrested again." We both laughed.

"Okay." She was quiet for a minute and I could see those wheels turning. "Maybe he won't sign. Not if I have anything to do with it."

"What do you mean?"

"My assistant told me the execs want my opinion on him. If he's marketable or not. I'll just tell them he's not then they won't sign him."

"Fuckin' with his future and livelihood though? I don't know...a restraining order sounds better." I know what it's like to be an artist and I know how hard it is. As much I despise him for hurting Bernice that's a little too far for me. They just need to stay out of each other's way. "Just calm down a bit for now. Okay?" She nodded then I kissed her.

"Why do you always have to be the rational, sane one? I was tryna fuck some shit up!" We both laughed.

"Because none of my screws are loose like yours, crazy! Remember everybody is coming over tonight for game night."