Chapter 6

Addi,

I don't really know how to write this letter or memory; however you want to phrase it, but here it goes.

Tuesday February 14th 2006 (Year 2 at primary school)

I remember that on this day, we made Valentine's day cards. Mine was a mess of glitter and rushed cuttings out but yours was beautiful; you'd obviously spent time on it unlike me (here's a picture of it).

 The teacher, Miss Sigsworth who had straight, blonde hair, told us that we could give it to whoever we wanted and I thought that you would give it to your mum or your sister or maybe your nan but at the end of the day you came up to me, a big gri...

 The teacher, Miss Sigsworth who had straight, blonde hair, told us that we could give it to whoever we wanted and I thought that you would give it to your mum or your sister or maybe your nan but at the end of the day you came up to me, a big grin on your face and handed it to me. Then you said, "I don't want you to be my boyfriend, that would be really weird, but do you want to be my best friend?"

I remember thinking that having a girl best friend would be weird because I mean, you're a girl but I didn't want to hurt your feelings so I smiled before giving you my mess of a card. 

"Ok," I said, and then you looked at my card and I expected you to make fun of it but instead you smiled even more and gave me a hug. At that point I pulled back and wrinkled my nose and you stuck out your tongue before running off into the playground.

I suppose that was actually the day we became best friends, so I hope you remember it after I've told you this but it doesn't really matter if you don't because I can remember for both of us.

Love Tom.

Addi's P.O.V

Tom or Shawn? Shawn or Tom? Who do I believe? I have no idea who's more trustworthy, who I've known for the longest or who's telling the truth; if either of them. When I saw Tom, I felt like he knew everything there was to know about me and he just looked trustworthy but when I saw Shawn; especially when he spoke, I just felt a sort of connection to him. I suppose I could ask my mum or sister but... It feels private to me; like something I need to find out about.

The door creaks slightly as it opens and Nurse Snowdon comes in, smiling at me as usual, "I've brought you some lunch, it'll be visiting hours after you've finished so I don't know who you should expect."

I nod and push myself up with my good arm before trying to shift my potted leg. Nurse Snowdon rushes over to help and I smile gratefully as she helps me into a comfortable position. She places a tray of food onto my lap and I nibble at it slightly; hospital food isn't exactly fine cuisine. She takes away my tray once I've finished and I give my hair a brush in preparation for any visitors. 

Nurse Snowdon returns several minutes later with someone behind her. I find myself hoping that it's Tom; I want to talk to him more than Shawn and I feel that I have more to talk about with him than Shawn but I don't know why. 

"You have a visitor!" Nurse Snowdon exclaims, no sh*t sherlock I thought it was someone coming to murder me... Slight disappointment rushes through me as Shawn appears from behind the nurse but the feeling is quickly swallowed by a warm feeling in my stomach; he looks adorable in a comfy looking red Vans hoodie. A smile spreads across my face as he sits next to me and takes my hand. The door clicks as the nurse leaves the room and Shawn begins to speak, "How are you feeling?"

"A little sore and I haven't had any memories back yet but I'm sure they'll come rushing in soon," I reply, fabricating the truth a little. 

"Aw, I brought you some flowers," Shawn says, handing some red, white and pink roses, that I hadn't previously noticed, to me. I raise them to my face to smell them; a large grin on my face.

"They're perfect!" I exclaim, carefully placing them in an empty vase next to my bed.

"Like you," Shawn says, "Oh wow, sorry, that was cheesy."

I giggle and become transfixed on his eyes, a memory flashes through my head of Shawn smiling while wiping a spot on my nose and I struggle to hold onto it; to remember more, but it slips through my mind like water through my hands.

Suddenly, I'm leaning forward and I see Shawn moving closer as well. I watch him tilt his head slightly and I close my eyes. His lips softly touch mine and I put my hand delicately on his cheek. It seems to last for an eternity before he pulls back but it was probably only a few seconds.  Worry flashes through my mind as I suddenly remember Tom.

"What about Tom?" I whisper.

"He's not here, is he? If he really cared he would be here, wouldn't he?" Shawn replies quietly, I open my mouth to explain that I'm sure he'll be here soon but I'm interrupted by the door opening again to reveal my sister, Lottie.

"Am I interrupting something?" She asks wryly, I shake my head and she continues, "The doctor says that you can be discharged after a couple more quick tests and you also need crutches if you can manage with one hand."

"Oh good! I'm sure home will remind me of more than this hospital room will," I reply excitedly. Shawn nods and moves away, "I'll see you soon."

Lottie helps me gather my few remaining things after the doctor asks me some questions and inspects my arms, legs and head. 

"You're good to go, just take it easy for a couple of weeks and don't be disappointed if you don't remember everything immediately; these things take time," He says, "Oh and check out in reception using this card."

He hands me a little card with my name on and what I suppose is his signature. "Thanks," I say.

Lottie grabs my rucksack and helps me get up with the use of a crutch. I stand awkwardly on one leg before hopping forward; using the crutch for balance. I slowly make my way towards reception and hand the card to the man at the desk before moving outside. Luckily, Lottie is parked close to the hospital entrance and I sink gratefully into the passenger seat. She puts the car into gear and presses on the accelerator.

"Time to go home little sis, let's see what you remember."

A/N I quite like this chapter.