Chapter 12

Shawn's P.O.V

I can't believe I said it. I can't believe that those 4 words came out of my mouth. Lizzie thought that I was in love with her and I didn't only shatter that illusion, I threw the glimmering shards in her face; opening wounds that may never heal. Do I really care, though? Putting it bluntly, it was only sex that made her want me or thinks she did. Being blunt again, I don't see why I picked Addi over her. Addi is closed and will take more effort than any other girl, I've ever wanted. Ever since her accident, the love I used to find amusingly glimmering in her eyes as disappeared, to be replaced with confusion. But I want her more than I've ever wanted a girl, and for different reasons too. 

"Get the fuck out of this house, you bastard," I realise that I'm frozen in place, my ear close to Lizzie's mouth as it whispers menacingly. I sit up and run my hand through my hair before looking at the clock.

"Go find Addi and make her feel the way I once felt. Make her fall for you, then drag her down. Hold her close and don't let go," Lizzie's words surprise me until she continues, "Until you find another girl, just like you always do. Then, I hope you smash her heart beyond repair and parcel up the pieces to give to her friend; the one that looks at her with something you've never understood. Love."

Her words sting and I raise my hand to my cheek as if she has physically scratched her fake nails across it. Then I laugh, "Don't pretend you care. I know your secret which is more than worth the hours of you trying to please me, trying to make me love you but failing."

I watch with satisfaction as the words tear down her last guards and a tear drops from the corner of her hazel, green eyes before turning and slamming the door behind me. It's only as I'm away from her house that I realise the street lights are on, glowing orbs in the coming darkness. Lizzie's words come back to me and I turn around, my feet pounding on the hard concrete.

I arrive at Tom's house in a matter of seconds and knock hesitantly on the door before locating the doorbell. I hear it echo through the house and then the loud noise of someone running down stairs. There's a scratching noise as they fumble with the key before it finally turns in the lock. The door opens and I see Pahl stood in the doorway, "Hi... Shawn?"

She leaves the sentence open but not because she doesn't know my name, "I'm here to talk to Tom."

"Oh right, I'll get him," she says before turning around, "Tom! Get your ass down here!"

I wince as the noise clashes against me and Pahl laughs when she turns around. I hear some floorboards creaking and then the noise of stairs again before Tom appears in the doorway.

"what's the cat dragged up this time?" He smirks as he speaks.

"I suppose Addi used to love you for your sarcasm, you know; one of the main reasons she wanted you as a boyfriend" I reply almost as quickly as the smirk slides off Tom's face.

"What do you want?" He asks, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"I need to talk to you about Addi," I say.

"We talked earlier," Tom says, moving to shut the door. 

"I think you should tell her," I say, moving forward into the doorway. Tom's face pales and I continue speaking, "About the girl you've been seeing."

Addi's P.O.V

A loud ringing echoes through the house and I jump, almost falling off my bed in my rush to grab my door keys, "Who is it?" 

"Me," a faint voice penetrates the door with a very helpful answer.

"And who is me?" I say in a loud voice, withholding the key from the lock.

"Shawn, please let me in. I want to apologise," I open my mouth as he begins but I'm stopped short when I hear him saying that he wants to apologise.

"Why do you need to apologise?" I say through the door.

"That's why you need to let me in, so I can explain to you rather than the whole street," He replies. I realise that I have been gripping the key to the point of pain and quickly loosen my grip before unlocking the door despite all my instincts screaming not to, telling me to wait to give him a second chance. 

I watch Shawn walk past me and take a seat on the sofa, the same side as before and follow without hesitation. My shoulder brushes his and I leap back, involuntarily. 

"Ok, I'm going to explain quite a few things that may come as a surprise but I have a feeling you already know and I'd be grateful if you just let me finish," I nod and Shawn continues,"I don't blame you for reading my texts. I know I've come up out of no-where and you barely remember the person you didn't know and I'll come back to that. I'll put it bluntly, I've slept with Lizzie a couple of times but they were before I got closer to you and yes, I went back tonight but I was confused - not that that's an excuse. We're finished now and no, we haven't just had sex," I close my mouth and feel my mind wandering - trying to figure out who this Lizzie is and why I seem to know her other than school. I hear Tom's name a couple of times but don't come back into focus until Shawn says my name.

"Addi, I've never wanted a challenge with a girl but I keep coming back to you, you're all that I can think about. I didn't tell you earlier because I wasn't sure myself and didn't see how it was relevant if you can't come but I suppose you read my mum's text and, well, do you want to come to the Maldives?" Shawn asks and I feel my mouth open in shock.