Home

Callie's nervousness at seeing her new home and meeting people of Alex's clan grew at the same, rapid pace of seeing the men's eagerness. All of Alex's warriors were content to be returning home after several days away on their scouting trip. They first passed a shepherd boy and his father minding some Highland cattle who waved at the men going by on horseback. Callie could see the surprise in the man's eyes at seeing her sitting with his laird. The man couldn't know that she was now Alex's wife. Her husband explained the small, stone building they passed was a shed meant for protection to the men in bad weather. Some miles later, they started to go by several, small cottages with thatched roofs. Each of the homes was well maintained and the tenants waved hello and shouted friendly greetings to the passing men.

"Do they live out here?" She asked her new husband.

Alex answered."Some do. We've got room for them within the keep walls, so they can shelter if there's ever a clan war. Plus, I always have guards who patrol the area. Luckily, we've kept peace for several years, so it hasn't been a problem." 

"That's good." She replied, impressed with the care he took to ensure the safety of his clan.

Even as they called out a greeting to their laird, Callie could see how most of the people wore shocked expressions when seeing her wrapped in the Campbell laird's tartan and being held in his arms on his horse. Sitting with him so closely must have left no room for doubt in their eyes that Alex must be claiming her as his woman, although they would not have known that she was their new mistress. Callie suddenly felt very self-conscious and it made her worry about their reactions to the news, fearing they would deem her unworthy of the position as mistress of their clan, or worse, his affections. She shyly ducked her head into the hollow just below his neck and tightened her hold on his waist, inching herself closer into his warm, honed body. Her movements made Alex look down and smile widely at her.

"Nearly home now." He truly beamed when issuing the statement. He pointed to a large structure in the distance. "Look! There it is..."

The impressive keep had clean lines and stood a full, four stories with a bell tower standing even higher in solid stone. The tall, forbidding keep had a thick, defensive wall around it with guard boxes located on each corner and it was more heavily fortified than her uncle's much smaller keep. Callie knew her uncle was now lying when he boasted that no other Highland clan had a better castle than his. Outside the outer wall was a wide river leading up to a moat at its front. The heavy door to the wall formed a bridge over the river to allow people entry into the castle. When it retracted, it kept intruders out of the structure and the people safely inside it. The impressive castle backed up against a steep, sharp cliff of a mountain on the other side which met the raging sea down below, Alex explained, making an attack from the far side impossible. Callie's nerves were now completely on edge, as she felt totally inadequate to be mistress of such a large place. It had to be three or four times the size of Hamish's keep and this one was clearly kept in better order and condition. The wall guards posted around the top perimeter now started to cheer loudly, as soon as they recognised Alex and his band of merry warriors. One of them turned to shout down into the bailey, then he ran down the inside stairs to spread the news of their return, while two others worked to let down the main drawbridge down to allow them passage into the bailey.

Scores of the clan's people were coming to meet them in the bailey making Callie's hold on her husband tighten. There were so many of them, Callie marveled silently to herself. Alex was now being greeted on both sides of Mouse by more people than Callie could count. He raised his hand in greeting and they went silent immediately. "Good day, everyone. I have the honour to present my wife to you, Lady Caledonia MacLeod Campbell."

The crowd was momentarily stunned with surprise, as Alex confirmed the thought they'd all had upon seeing her sitting on his mount. An older woman burst through the crowd to saucily announce. "Well, it's about time you got married, Alex!"