Ceilidh

Glenna looked up to see Alex smiling broadly at Callie, his arm possessively around her slim waist, as he escorted her into the dining hall to break their fast. It had been a full week since they'd gotten back to the keep with his warriors. Not once did either of them leave their rooms. Glenna had ensured the newlyweds had plenty of privacy, food and drink, along with water for bathing. She could see the time spent alone had done them a world of good. Neither of them could keep from smiling or touching the other, their hands constantly linked, and they were oblivious to anyone else in the room.

She tapped Malcolm on the shoulder to get his attention. "Everything's ready for the ceilidh tonight. Ensure himself knows they must stay for most of it."

Sighing, Malcolm glanced over to see Alex laughing at something Callie said. He furrowed his brow, feigning a sense of ignorance to his wife, trying not to laugh. "What are ye on about, Glenna my love?"

She gave him a knowing look. "Look at the two of them. People are coming from all over Campbell land to see our Laird and his new Lady. It'll do them no bloody good if they're up in their chamber making the next generation of Campbell babes and not here to be seen."

"All right, wife. I'll have a word with Alex about it." He nodded, leaning into her ear to whisper what he'd like as payment for helping her.

Glenna smiled back at him. "Well, that depends on how long they stay, doesna it?"

Malcolm groaned, knowing she bested him yet again. He strode over to Alex, sitting down at the table, and offering a wide grin to his nephew. "I'm happy to see that married life agrees with you so well, Alex."

Alex pierced his uncle with a look of amusement and suspicion. He kept a possessive hold on Callie's waist. "Aye, it does indeed. What of it?"

"I am in need of your aide to help me keep Glenna in good humour." His uncle said plainly. "Can ye two stay for most of the ceilidh tonight?"

Alex smiled innocently. "Why wouldn't we be there, Uncle?"

"Lad, everyone in the hall can see ye are wanting to tear each other's clothes off at the next moment available to ye and no one would fault ye." Malcolm lowered his voice to not embarrass Callie who had begun speaking with Rory standing next to them. "I'm still waiting for ye to thank me anytime."

Alex smiled easily at this last statement from his uncle. "Aye, thank ye. Truly, Malcolm. Ye were right about her and I fully admit it."

Callie was giggling at something Rory said. As she looked up, she smiled even bigger when catching Alex beaming at her. Malcolm could tell Alex already had developed strong feelings for his new bride and it was clearly being reciprocated. It pleased him immensely to witness it. Malcolm glanced over, shooting Alex a knowing look. "I have your word, aye? Ye will stay til the end of the eve?"

Alex groaned. "Nay, I didna say that long, uncle. I said a good while."

"Ye aren't too old for a hiding from me if ye dare to skulk off in the middle of your own blasted wedding ceilidh!"

Alex laughed heartily, drawing Callie's attention back to them. He winked at her and raised her hand to his lips, kissing it sweetly before replying. He smiled over at his uncle. "Och, well, ye'll forgive me if I canna make it, aye?"

"Nay, I bloody won't! Ye ken it's my hide your aunt will have if it comes to that!" Malcolm said in frustration.

"I'll do my best, Uncle." Alex parried.

After the morning meal, Alex took Callie by the arm to escort her around the castle grounds. He took his time, leisurely showing her all his favourite places and introducing her with a sense of pride to everyone they met along the way. Alex noticed that she offered a shy smile and a kind word to every person with whom they chatted, no matter their age or position at the castle. His clan members were warmly responding to her and it pleased him as well. He knew that Callie's sweet personality would win them over when he first thought to marry her.