Death becomes us

1920

Four years before the cortez

"Daddy you okay?"

"Yes I'm fine, it's your mother I'm worried about"

"She'll get better she always does"

I walked over towards the mini bar and made my father a gin and tonic and handed it to him, he already stink of liquor.

"Can't deal with it anymore, Lil"

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean, it's time."

I looked at the hallway and the door halfway open. I walked to the door and peaked into the bedroom. She was sick, very sick.

"I guess so daddy"

Present day

"The smell continues to linger, she said it was like death" I read from the book and looked up and saw that I had an audience since I was reading out loud.

"Oh don't stop it was just getting good" Liz smirked as the rest of my audience smiled.

"Okay." I look back at the book and continue, "she never realized how horrible the house was until now. Sir Thomas had told her never to be afraid but atlas she had not listen to his advice. She was definitely scared." I stopped.

"What happens next?" Said one of the children.

"Well, umm she discovers that sir Thomas was hiding something from her which drove her mad and she died"

"Boring ending if you ask me" Liz smirked getting back to work.

"I think it was slightly romantic, I mean he tried to protect her from the horrible truth about his sister and himself" I smile and close the book.

"Me too" Elizabeth's voice scared me.

I give her a smile as she sits on the arm rest of my chair. "Elaborate, you must"

"Well, love should always drive us to madness. That's what I think. She couldn't bare the thought of his pass so she had failed him that what I believe" she spoke with elegance.

"So you think if someone really loves you, they should forgive you for your past?"

"Of course"

1920

"Daddy you can stay at the bar longer if you want I got things taken care at home. Have fun, you've earned it" I spoke into the telephone.

"You got it Hun"

I walked into her bedroom. She was sleeping like usual. I took a seat in the chair like I always have.

Present day

"Are we going to do something tonight?" I asked Elizabeth.

"No not tonight. I've got business. That will give you a night to yourself, okay"

"Okay"

She seemed distant.

Elizabeth's POV

"I'm glad you considered my offer"

"How could I refuse"

"I've been thinking..about things"

"And?"

"Love is a strong thing, wouldn't you agree?"

"Yes I'd agree"

I reach over to his leg, to my surprise he was tense. I move over to sit next to him. I lean and press my body up to his.

"I miss us, Donovan"

I press my lips to his, "but I'm I love someone else...too"

"So what are you saying?"

"Nothing currently I'm just feeling things out.. And right now all I want to do is, fuck"

1920

I'm anxious more than I should be I grab it and I try to get the nerve but it's still so hard. Even though it's been planned for months. She starts to move around.

"Mommy?"

Shes not waking up. I stand before and raise my hand holding the very thing that could change everything.

Present day

"John?" I ask as I walk up to the bar.

He looks at me and gives me a faint smile.

"How's it going?"

"It's okay just relaxing"

I notice he seems tired I sit next to him and stare at him.

"How's that kid of yours?"

"Scarlett?"

"Yeah I've only seen her a few times this three months"

"She's living with her grandmothers"

"Nice I guess. "

I talk to him for a bit until I notice I haven't seen Donovan at all today. So I decided to venture off and find him.

"You're not going to find him" a voice came up behind me, it was Sally.

"Why is that?"

"He's busy"

I roll my eyes and continue to walk, but she doesn't stop talking.

"You think you're so perfect don't you?"

"No I don't"

"You have all those suckers thinking you're so innocent but in reality you are just like me, a waist of space"

I turn around and give her a look I haven't given to someone in a very long time.

1920

The blood it was everywhere. It took me 30 whacks to her head to feel satisfied. When daddy came home he was next. He would never lay a single finger on both of us ever again.

Present day

I finally made my way to his room and knocked on the door. No answer.

"Really" I whispered to myself.