Just Close Your Eyes

A/N- This is set in Mockingjay Part 2, a few months after Peeta plants the primroses outside. They are both staying at Katniss' house, in different bedrooms down the hall from each other.

This is my first one-shot!
Enjoy!
(sorry for any spelling errors)
——————————————
Katniss POV

*Nightmare*
I hear a scream. I try to run towards where the sound came from, but something is holding me back. I feel like there's weights on top of me. I open my eyes to see her...

She's screaming out my name, staring into my eyes from across the room, her blonde hair in knots. I try to scream out to her, but I can't. I can't move, I can't talk, I can't scream, I can't help her.

Then I see him.

He steps up next to her and looks at me. He's smiling his evil snake-like grin, staring at me with his devil eyes. Then it happens.

He pulls out a grenade, pulls the trigger, and runs.

Prim stands there, staring at me. Yelling at me for not helping her. Calling me a useless mutt.

I put my hands over me ears to try to make it stop. I'm in tears now from hearing my little duck say these things. It makes them seem very true.

I look back up only to see her engulfed in flames. I try to get to her, even just move closer the slightest bit, but I can't.

She just lays there. Dead. My little duck. Dead.

That's when the voices start in my head.

"YOU KILLED HER KATNISS!'"
"IT'S YOUR FAULT SHE'S DEAD!"
"YOU NEVER EVEN LOVED HER!"

But I hear something else too. "Katniss!?"

"Katniss, wake up!"

"Katniss?"

It's Peeta.

Fear and confusion run though me, making me cry and scream even more than I already am.

But he's there, he always is.

He's laying next to me now, stroking my hair, whispering things into my ear like,"It's okay. I'm here. It was just a nightmare."

My tears turn into muffled sobs over time and I snuggle closer into his embrace.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Peeta asks.

He always asks me this every time he has to wake me from nightmares. I shake my head no.

"I don't want to re-live it." I say. He doesn't respond right away, which makes me think that he didn't hear me. Did I even say that out loud?

"That's okay." Peeta says.

I guess he did hear me.

I lay my head down on his chest and he pulls me closer to him and keeps stroking my hair. It feels nice. His embrace always calms me. The way he holds me like I could break at any moment. I never want to let go. But it always has to happen eventually.

He starts to get up but I pull him back down and ask him the question that I've been waiting to ask him since he first started comforting me.

"Peeta, will you stay with me?"

"Yeah," he responds, "Always."

Peeta pulls me closer to him, if that is even possible. I'm basically laying in top of him right now.

I can tell that he's starting to fall asleep so I whisper,"Peeta, I'm scared."

"Of what?" he asks.

"Sleep." I say.

"Just close your eyes. I got you. I won't leave, I promise."

Just these few sentences from him reassure me that he'll always be there for me.

And not soon after, I'm being pulled into sleep.
But not just any sleep, a peaceful sleep, with no nightmares. No horrors to make me wake up screaming. None of that. Just sleep. And if feels great.

———————————

A/N-Well okay then. That was my first ever one-shot and I'm surprised that I made it through. That was tough 😂

Anyway, I hope you liked it!!

Please comment feedback and VOTE!!

Thanks! 💜💙💚

–A 💙✌🏼

{Word count: 654}