The Sun Is Going Down

(a/n) this is set during mockingjay, but let's just say that both Peeta and Katniss were rescued from the arena.
———————————

Katniss's POV

I don't know why they agreed to letting us come here. Coin knew that this is something that I wanted to do and she's already showed me that she doesn't like me. Or maybe it's Peeta she doesn't like. But why she agreed to letting us come to District 12 puzzles me.

"Katniss?"

I look up to see Peeta standing above me. I'm sitting in the corner of the hovercraft that is meant to take us to 12. Us being Peeta and I.

"Katniss?" Peeta asks. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah." I nod. "Atleast I think I'm okay."

He gives me a look that says that he understands.

"We'll be landing in about five minutes, you guys should come get ready," says one of the many men who came with us to 12, to ensure our safety.

Atleast that's the reason Coin gave for them coming. I don't think that she'll ever be able to ensure my safety, Peeta's either. We'll always be in some sort of danger.

"Okay, thanks for the warning," Peeta replies to the man.

"No problem," he says, while walking off.

"You ready Katniss?" Peeta asks.

"Sure. I guess."

"Okay, let's go then."

Peeta extends a hand out to me and I gladly take it. He pulls me up like I weigh nothing, I guess that I probably do. When I'm standing upright, I wrap my arms around his neck and bury my head in his chest.
It doesn't take long for him to return the gesture by wrapping his arms around my back, pressing me to him.

"I love you Peeta." I mumble into him.

"I love you too, Katniss."

We stand like that, hugging in the middle of the hovercraft until it starts to shake, signaling that we're landing.

He's the first to pull away, quickly grabbing my hand after. We walk forward as the hovercraft starts to land.

The bottom hatch opens, and we start on our way out, closely followed by the "guards".

Once we're on the ground we have to duck down. The reason for this? I have no idea. But everyone else does it so why not?

The hovercraft takes off, it will stay near us in case of an emergency.

"Where do you want to go Katniss?" Peeta says.

"You choose, it doesn't matter to me." I reply.

"Okay let's go."

I reach for his hand and we start walking. At the moment I don't really know where we're going. I'm just enjoying being outside I'm my home district with Peeta.

I've been looking down for most of our walk, relying on Peeta not to run into anything. But I look up and right away i wish I hadn't.

Bodies.

Dead bodies.

Skeletons to be exact.

My breath hitches in my throat and I stop walking, pulling Peeta back with me. I fall to my knees as I stare out at the tragic sight.