Chapter Five - When the Stars Threw Down Their Spears

Chapter 5. Author's note: yes, the title's long. Yes, I'm keeping it. Yes, they are all significant titles thus far.

"Nightingale, you brilliant little slut," said Bobby, bursting into the room. Nightingale tossed Cyrano de Bergerac under the bed. She'd been teaching Rose to read French as a distraction from the events of the past evening. The two women stared up at him.

"Thanks, Bobby," purred Nightingale, stretching like a cat.

"She's a good example for you," he snapped at Rose. "Her client last night must have been really happy. There's already another man requesting her."

"What?" said Nightingale. That was unheard of. Never had she had a client request her so early in the morning.

"You heard me, you sexy thing," said Bobby, grinning. "And his deposit was even heftier than Mr. Castleman's."

Nightingale felt worry knot itself in her stomach. "What?" she gasped. "Not...Mr. Castleman?"

"His down payment just wasn't good enough the calibre of my Nightingale," laughed Bobby. "So I went with this new guy instead. Apparently he's never been to the bordello, but he's already requesting you." He flopped on the bed and looked at Nightingale proudly.

Nightingale turned her face away so that he wouldn't see her disgust at his pride. It wasn't a doting, affectionate pride, but one of smug self-satisfaction. However, the worry continued to twist upon itself, knotting and unknotting as she thought about Michael.

"Did you tell Mr. Castleman that he wouldn't be seeing me tonight?" she asked, looking back at Bobby.

"No. He'll just have to content himself with another girl when he comes, though," said Bobby.

"Could I tell him myself, then, Bobby?" asked Nightingale in her most winsome voice.

"You will the fuck not, you dumb slut!" he exclaimed, sitting bolt upright. "If you weren't such a hit you'd pay for a stupid question like that! If you cancel, he won't come. And besides, Mr. Beckett has already requested that you meet him alone in the Red Room."

"Not the Club?" asked Nightingale. Her heart began to flutter with nervousness as she realized what would happen. Michael would show up, expecting to see her, and be told that she'd already been taken. Sparkle's story came back to her as she shuddered.

"No. He wants to see you alone," said Bobby.

Rose's eyes darted between Bobby and Nightingale nervously as Nightingale tried to smooth her expression into one of nonchalance.

"Well, get ready," said Bobby. He glanced as his watch, an antique timepiece from the early twenty-first century. "It's only a few hours until we open." He jumped up off the bed, pausing at the door. "Oh, and find someone to teach Rose."

Nightingale nodded as he departed, a bounce in his step as he whistled his way down the hallway.

"Oh, Gale, Sparkle told me about Mr. Castleman. What are you going to do?" asked Rose.

Nightingale smiled suddenly. She'd had an idea. "That's what you're for, Rosie," she said.

Rose gave her a blank look. "What?" she asked.

Nightingale smiled again, pleased at her own cleverness. "You delivered Michael a drink last night. A Belladonna. You remember him, right?"

Rose nodded, her wide blue eyes serious. "Yes. He was polite," she said, smiling slightly. "He was very nice, I thought."

"You'd be able to recognize him again tonight, wouldn't you?" said Nightingale.

Rose nodded, her eyes lighting up. She seemed to suddenly understand what Nightingale was getting at.