Formality part 2

Scott's mother was in his room as he helped with getting Scott ready for the dance. Scott was in the bathroom trying to fix on his tie while she was looking over his suit jacket.

"This is really nice. How did you afford-" But his mom stopped there when she noticed a long tear in the jacket that was mended with scotch tape. "Oh."

Scott looked over to her. "It's not going to work, is it?" his voice was laced with worry.

"No, no, it's fine," she said quickly. She gave him a small smile. "No one will notice." He then turned away. "No one legally blind," she muttered.

"I heard that!" Scott shouted. He would've heard that even without super hearing.

"Well, just come on in here and we could try it," she suggested. Scott then came over and put the jacket on and they both looked him over. He seemed okay. "See?" his mom said gesturing to him. "You look good."

"Good?"

"Turn," she said to see him from the back. She gave him a once over and noticed something new. "No." She then pointed downwards to show Scott a tear in his pants.

Now Scott was really freaked. "I don't have time for this! I can't buy new ones. Mom, what am I going to do?!"

"Okay, don't panic," she said trying to calm him. "I'll handle it. Take them off. Pants off now," she said before she left to try and get to her sowing kit. When she got it, she immediately set herself to work sowing up the hole. "So," she started. "Is she coming here because you know I need the car tonight?"

"No," he muttered. Allison definitely wasn't coming. "I'm going stag."

She looked up at him. "You're going alone?"

"Stag," he corrected. "There's a difference, sort of."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm just a little...surprised. You don't really have anyone else to ask, other than Allison."

"There are no other girls besides Allison," he said unflinchingly.

"You really feel that way?"

Scott didn't want to talk about this again, especially with his mom. He remembered that he and Stiles had a talk like this a few nights ago and didn't appreciate then either. "Would you just keep sowing?"

"No, you have time for it. Just one question. Come here," she said hitting the spot next to her. Scott then went to sit there. "Do you really feel that way?" she asked him again.

Scott took a deep breath. "I can't help it. Every time that I look at her I get this....hollow feeling in my chest, like someone literally took a shovel and dug a hole in me and it's the worst feeling I've ever had in my life. I didn't know anyone could make me feel this bad."

"I know," she said. "Everyone knows eventually. But, it does go away."

Scott shook his head. "I don't want it to."

His mom just looked at him. "Have you told her how you feel?"

"She knows."

That made her go and smack him at his forehead. "Come on. She knows? She knows! Listen, dumbass, I'm going to let you in on a secret that most guys don't even have a clue about. Alright? You ready? Women. Love. Words," she slowly annunciated.

Scott just stared blankly back at her. "Huh?"

"You need to tell her how you feel. Just say it. Say it again. Say it differently," she said starting to smile. "Learn how to say it differently. Learn how to sing it." Scott was fighting the urge to laugh then. "Write it in a poem and attach it to flowers. Carve it into a tree or a sidewalk with cement. Tattoo on your arm."