Chapter Forty-Four: Near

Kaidan was barely able to catch the elevator before it closed between him and Hope. She gave him a small, devious smile but didn't step forward to help him. Luck was on his side though, and he was able to get into the elevator.

"Hope-"

"Commander, we've got some tech-heads trying to get into the Normandy already. Should I tell them to turn around and shove it up their-"

"Joker," she interrupted him, seemingly amused, "Tell them to give the crew two hours before they start to work. If they have any problems, put them into contact with me."

"Aye-aye."

Shepard relaxed against the wall, but said nothing to Kaidan- just stood there with a small smile on her lips and he had to fight the urge to kiss it. "I think that was one of the most passive-aggressive, possessive things I've ever seen from you."

"I'm sorry?"

He wasn't fooled. "That wasn't just a random comment you said to her- that was a veiled threat. Either she stay back and realize that I wasn't up for grabs, or there'd be problems."

She bit the corner of her bottom lip and looked up at him from under her eyelids. "Would I do something like that?" she teased.

Kaidan gripped her waist and pulled her around so she was flush against his body. "Are you not Commander Hope Ann Shepard?" When she did nothing put run her hands up his chest, he lowered his mouth down to hers and whispered, "That answer your question?"

Shepard kissed him briefly before pulling away just as the doors to the elevator opened. "You seem to be implying that you expected me to react a little different," she said as they walked through the halls.

That gave him pause and he grabbed her arm to pull her to a stop. She frowned down at his grip and then looked up at him. It was an unspoken rule, but they never touched each other in public- not in the middle of the busiest hour on the Citadel at least- late at night when there was no one else around was a whole different story.

"Hope," he said, not quite sure what to make of her flippant tone. "I don't think you should be any different than what you are."

He hadn't let go of her and she looked up at him, surprised. "Kaidan," she murmured quietly, "I wasn't being serious. I know you accept me for who I am."

Kaidan searched her eyes. Had it not been for all the recent fights between the two of him, he might not even have worried about it to begin with.

"I love you, Hope," he informed her, not thinking about where they are.

She looked around, worriedly. There were more than a few people staring at them. "Kaidan, this isn't the place," she whispered, trying to pull her arm out of his grip. Then, she just stopped and stared at him. Relaxing her muscles, she smiled at him.

"Commander," Joker interrupted her near-admission from over the comm.

"Yeah, Joker," she replied, shaking her head and smiling apologetically at Kaidan.

"Admiral Anderson says that he has a gift for you. I've sent the information to your omni-tool," he informed her, sounding somewhat distracted.

"What about the techs?"

"They weren't happy about the delay, but they're sucking it up. I'm pretty sure if you weren't who you are, then they would've bitched a little more."

"And the crew?"

"Everyone's packing up. Don't worry about it, Commander, you just go start your leave."

"Thanks for the update, Joker, but I've got to talk to the tech-lead first."

Shepard smiled at Kaidan. "Why don't you go ahead and start your leave, I've got a few things to take care of."

"We'll meet up later," he promised her.

She wanted to lean up and kiss him, but held back and nodded. "It's a deal."