24: Birth Mother

Chapter Twenty-Four

It was now late at night. I was sitting in front of the fireplace, on the couch, sketching a picture of a dog, a cute little Corgi. I could hear approaching footsteps but didn't tear my eyes away from my paper. "Ugh. God. You're still here?" I heard Damon asked.

"Were you expecting anything else?" I retorted, looking up as he moved my feet and plopped down on the couch before letting my feet drop into his lap.

"No," he said.

"So how was the errand?" I asked him.

"Futile. Although I think I witnessed the teacher having an existential crisis," he replied and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Has Stefan eaten yet?"

"I thought you didn't care."

"Chalk it up to morbid curiosity," he shrugged.

"I think he's getting there. He's got a lot of guilt that he has to deal with. He told me about how he turned. Your dad shot you guys when you tried to help Katherine. He went to see your dad the next day. Blah, blah. He killed your dad. What about you?" I asked him.

"Oh, so he didn't tell you that," he scoffed and I raised a brow.

"He didn't want to continue after that," I sighed.

"He forced me to turn. He brought a girl to me right before I could die human. He tried to convince me how great it was to be a vampire. Then he bit her first and made her bleed and forced me to her neck to drink so I could turn too, against my will," he said nonchalantly. He went to get up but I grabbed his arm, stopping him.

He stared down at me questioningly and I let him go. I was frozen in shock. I didn't know what to say. I honestly felt bad for him. I watched Damon move to pour himself a drink while I put my sketch book away, deciding to finish the Corgi later. "The moment Stefan had his first taste of human blood, he was a different person," he told me casually. "I suppose I should thank him. It's been a hell of a ride."

"He said he wanted to die," I recalled. "That's why he won't feed. Now I understand why, but-"

"His choice. If he's stupid enough to make it, so be it."

"Don't do that, okay?" I snapped. "Don't pretend like you don't care."

I walked off to go check on Stefan. "Where you going?" I heard Damon ask but I ignored him and continued down to the cellar. When I got there it was empty. I walked over to the cot, spotting something. My blood nearly went cold as I spotted his daylight ring there. No. No. No, no, no! Damn it, Stefan.

I ran back upstairs to Damon, looking distraught no doubt. I needed to find Stefan immediately. He was weak without having blood. He was without his ring and the sun would be rising in a few short hours. "Stefan's gone! I need to find him!" I shouted.

"He's what?" Damon frowned.

"We were talking. I told him to join me. Left the door open. Gave him his ring. He's gone and left the ring. I'm so worried, Damon."

He sighed and finished a glass of bourbon. "The quarry," he stated. "We were to meet there after I turned. That's where I swore I'd make his life miserable for turning me. He'll be there, go now. And hurry."

I nodded and thanked him. I grabbed my keys and slipped on my coat. I then walked over to Damon. "I'm sorry you were forced to turn. That wasn't fair to you. I'm so sorry, but I'm glad he did it. Otherwise, I would've never met you. And honestly Damon, you're a pain in my ass but you're also one of the greatest friends I have now. I wouldn't trade you for the world."