Chapter 4

Percy's POV:

The Great hall is so beyond amazing, Annabeth would be going on and on about the architecture. If I didn't know better I would say there wasn't a ceiling on the place. Four long tables, each with a different color banner over them, line the hall. I head up to the teachers table and a fat man, introduced as Professor Slughorn, shows me where I'm supposed to sit. Who has arranged seating?!?

McGonagall signals for us to be quite, silly, all the kids get to make as much noise as they want. I think about making a ton of noise just to show how little I want to be here, then I remember the Stolls bet and hold my tongue. A horde of 12 to 18 (the 7th years from last year are re-doing their 7th year) meander into the hall. They chatter quietly among themselves, although the older students, like the ones at camp, look much more serious, as if the world had not been kind to them. It takes almost ten minutes to get everyone seated, then the doors open again a bunch of midgets, sorry first years trudge in. Most of them look scared witless for some reason. I vaguely remember Headmistress McGonagall saying something about last year being bad, so maybe that's what their upset about. Then McGonagall speaks "Welcome, new students, old students, professors, ghosts." She inclines her head towards each group, "Last year was a terrible year for all of wizarding kind. Hogwarts itself was attacked. But we will come back, because although our building was destroyed, our friends, family killed we will stand together, as one people. We will continue to train young witches and wizards. We will try to keep history from ever repeating its self again. Remember Remus Lupin, Nymphadora Tonks, Colin Creevey, Lavender Brown, Severus Snape, Cedric Diggory, Sirius Black, Alastor Moody, Dobby, Albus Dumbledore, James and Lilly Potter and countless others. Know the price they paid for your freedom. For you to have a chance to live, to be, to learn freely. Freedom is not a right, it is a gift. Use it well. Now, for the sorting of the first years."  Almost everyone one has tears in their eyes as they turn towards a grimy old hat, as if expecting it to do a flip, instead it opens its mouth and begins to sing. Yeah I'm not surprised at all. Not. "

A thousand years or more ago

when I was newly sewn,

there lived four wizards of renown,

whose names are still well known:

bold Gryffindor, from wild moor,

fair Ravenclaw, from glen,

sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad,

shrewd Slytherin, from fen.

They shared a wish, a hope, a dream,

they hatched a daring plan

to educate young sorcerers

thus Hogwarts School began.

Now each of these four founders

formed their own house,

for each did value different virtues

in the ones they had to teach.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

if you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folks use any means

To achieve their ends.

'Twas Gryffindor who found the way,

He whipped me off his head

The founders put some brains in me

So I could choose instead!

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands

For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

When the hat finished speaking (how weird is that?) everyone clapped politely. Then McGonagall called " Allan, Amy (Ravenclaw) Gray, Victor (Slytherin)  Fisher, Carl (Huffelpuff)," And then, finally, after ages and ages and ages, "White, Joshua (Gryffindor)." Then McGonagall raised hands for silence "I would also like to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Jackso-" Quickly I cut her off, "Percy, just Percy, er sorry for interrupting." That last bit was only added after being given a death glare by like the whole staff.

"Well, welcome Percy. He has come all the way from America to teach you this year-"

"Not by choice" I mutter. She ignores me and carries on. I'm not even sure she heard me.

"I expect all of you to welcome him. Now, let the feast begin! And with that the previously empty plates filled with food. I dug in. 

A/N:

Be happy people, this is my third update to day. Thanks for reading. Please send me a new title or cover, my current ones suck.  Comment, Vote, Follow!