Chapter 1

Taylor's POV

I walked down the hallway, my hand brushing the crimson-colored lockers. Today - like everyday - I had chorus first, which was with Mr. Fischbach, and then gym, math, science, with Mr. McLoughlin, English, and history.

I pointed out my two teachers for music and science only, because they are... weird. They act strange around each other, too nice. A lot of students say that they're cousins or really good friends, but I'm not convinced. I like believing that it's something else that Mr. Fischbach and Mr. McLoughlin don't like the students knowing about.

I approached my bottom locker and plopped down on the school floor, taking off my backpack and opening my locker after putting in the simple three-number combination. I opened my white backpack with blue smoke designs on it and took out my satchel. I then shut my locker and got up, bumping into a good friend of mine.

"Hi!~" she greeted happily.

"Hey, Jade," I replied, leaning against the lockers and making myself relax against the cold hard metal and paint.

Jade was a slim girl (a little more slim than me) with - of course - jade green eyes and long blonde and black hair that was in a loose bun today (which it was most days unless it was picture day or something else like that).

"Ready for chorus?" she asked.

"Yeah, I guess," I replied, brushing some dark brown hair from my face.

"Alrighty, let's go!~" my friend smiled, leading me to the related arts hall. We passed by a lot of other eight grade students along the way, Jade waving to them or ignoring them. Eventually, I just started walking beside Jade down a larger hallway.

"Jade?" I said, getting her attention.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think there's something up between Mr. Fischbach and Mr. McLoughlin?" I asked, looking away.

"They're probably cousins," Jade responded with a simple shrug. "Everyone else is believing that."

"I think it's something else," I said.

Jade stopped right next to the entrance to the related arts all, making me stop as well. "What? You think they're gay?" she asked.

"W-what? N-no..." I trailed off, then muttered quietly, "Yeah, probably."

"What?! You can't just assume two guys are gay just because they're really good friends!" Jade said, making me feel a little bad. It was true: you can't assume they're gay just by how good of friends they are.

"Right, right," I sighed. "Sorry."

"It's fine. But honestly, Taylor!" Jade groaned as we continued to chorus. "Don't make up stuff like that! You're going to get yourself into trouble."

I bit my lip and nodded, then entered the chorus class with Jade. Inside, only half of the class was in there, and Mr. Fischbach was at the piano.

I so badly wanted to ask if there was something going on between him and my green-haired science teacher, but that would be the rudest thing ever. It would also be awkward, and I didn't want to embarrass Mr. Fischbach that much; he was an awesome teacher.

The blue-haired man looked up when we approached him. "Ah, Taylor and Jay-Jay!" he greeted with a laugh. "You're here! Great! I'll be needing you girls for today. In fact, I'll be needing everyone, because today we're practicing for the Veterans Day assembly next week!" Man, I forgot about that, I thought as we both smiled. I walked over to some other friends of mine as Jade told Mr. Fischbach she didn't like Jay-Jay.

"Hey, guys!" I greeted my friends.

"Hey, Taylor," Alex replied.

"'Sup!" Tyler said. It was funny how Taylor and Tyler sounded alike, and that is was partly how we became friends back in elementary school.

"I was thinking about... umm... Mr. Fischbach and Mr. McLoughlin," I began, lowering my voice.

"What? That they're gay?" Alex asked curiously. I shrugged, making him say, "Well, you can't just walk up and ask them if they're gay!" I nodded.

"People do that to you all the time," Tyler said to Alex, stifling a chuckle.

"Oh, right," the brown-haired boy simply responded, "that's true. But that doesn't mean our teachers will take that question lightly like me."

"Yeah, Taylor," Tyler looked at me. "Maybe you can just figure it out without getting into trouble or something worse. Don't be bothered."

"Okay," I sighed as the rest of the class entered the room, and the intercom went off, "Good morning, Shepard Middle School! It is time for the morning announcements!"