chapter 6 (First Sight)

"Sweet potatoes! "

"I know right?" Said Asha , turning to wink at me while wringing and unwringing her ponytail.

'Clark' was really, I mean, really easy on the eye it made my heart ache for a moment. He had this classic comeliness about him. I couldn't determine what exactly made him so attractive from such distance, because I couldn't even examine his features closely. Perhaps it was that he seemed somehow withdrawn inside his own bubble, removed from the rest of the world around him and clearly hard to reach. Maybe it was the fully absorbed expression on his face, like he was trying to solve some kind of a mystic dilemma. Or the way a short strand of his classic-cut hair arched over his forehead as his head tipped forward. He was preoccupied with some mysterious activity that he didn't notice Susie was standing beside him.

"What is he doing?" I asked Asha in a hushed voice. The guy was wearing earbuds and his fingertips - both hands - were tapping on the edge of table with so much spryness as though he was typing on an imaginary keyboard.

"I call it 'The fingers workout'." Asha whispered back, making quote marks in the air.

"He does that a lot?"

"Yeah! It's magical!"

"It's weird!"

"Is not!" Asha protested. "It's a Kryptonian tradition or something. "

"Maybe he has an invisible laptop." I stifled a snicker. This girl was totally obsessed with Superman, but I guess I could see her point.

"Nothing like that in all the Superman issues I've read. Not even the movies." She snorted and shook her head. Her bead necklace made a clattering noise that started to sound familiar.

"You said he was back? Was he gone before today? " I caught myself delving more into this whole thing. It had been as long as forever since I've been interested in real people. I mean real live guys who were not fictional characters. This was not my normal self, but it was completely out of curiosity.

"Two weeks," she said, pulling up two fingers."Spring break. I think he's an exchange student like me. He's been a regular since last year. And he always comes around 3 p.m, so definitely after school hours. "

"Hmm!" I murmured, my eyes following his quirky behavior. "Have you tried to talk to him? Ask him out or something?"

"Noooo," She denied. "Unfortunately, I'm old-school. The guy must make the first move or else... Whatever." She sighed deeply, straightened and hopped away to take another order.

Sneaking another peek, I had a glimpse of the Clark guy looking up in surprise. He smiled awkwardly when Susie started arranging the plates in front of him. He crossed his arms until she was done and I thought I vaguely recognized the words 'thank you' shape themselves across his lips. He turned his gaze down one more time to focus on his lunch. At this moment I had a sudden pinch of guilt for intruding on his privacy. I sure wouldn't feel comfortable if I knew someone stared at me while I ate.

Reluctantly, I wobbled backward and sat on the stool at the hidden corner, feeling mixed-up over this strange behavior that seemed to take over my mind. I even felt a bit of nausea and stomach cramps. I realized I forgot to eat this morning.

"Hey, snoopy!" Asha waved her bejeweled arms in front of my face, bringing me back to reality. " I know, Clark has this effect on people, but we've got another order to make. "

I got up to brew some more coffee, feeling more and more familiar with the process. For the next hour, I resisted the itch to snoop one more time, until I finally convinced myself it was only for one second. I leaned to the side, planning to sneak a last look. but he was already gone.

*****
Hello dear readers who made it so far ;)

Now you can meet superman...I mean Clark... I mean... whoever :D he's our guy so be patient until we know who he really is ;)

Thank you for everyone who cared to read this story so far. Even the silent readers.
*YEAH YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE* :b

Looking forward to your COMMENTS and VOTES and any advice you might want to bestow on me. :)

I would really appreciate it if you you could (TAG) a friend or 2 who might be interested in Melody.

Thank you all for your kindness. Salaam ♥♥