Chapter 39 (Confessions)

A/N
((silent readers only!!!)):
If you read this, please, only comment a single 'hi' on this note. I'm curious to know if my request will reach you. I hope you don't mind. :))

#######

I cowered in the corner of the sofa, hyperventilating and trying to keep my eyes focused on the fading surroundings.

The bubble of panic was growing fast. Burning my breath away. The room whirled around and around. The words from the serpent's note thrashed in my brain.

There's more where this came from...

Cops will be stoked when you try to explain...

The cops are here for me! Oh God! She wasn't bluffing! How did they know where I was? Is someone following me? Oh God, I'm going to jail!!

There was a faint clutter outside the room and footsteps approaching. The world quaked around me. Dark dots danced in the air, clouding my vision. A sickening whistle blew in my ears and my body trembled like a feather in the wind.

I'm done for... I'm done for...!

"Mel, what's​ wrong?" Akram's voice rang into the void.

"I---I..." I choked up.

"What is it? Are you sick?"

I couldn't breathe... I couldn't feel my lungs... I couldn't keep my eyes open.

"Lord! Please, not again!"

The walls warped into unusual shapes and I heard annoying hiccups that seemed to vibrate inside my chest.

"Melody!... Melody!" Akram echoed my name from a deep well.

I felt gentle taps on my face, warm fingers wiping my tears, but I couldn't make out Akram's face in the blur of the spinning room.

Shrinking into a quivering ball, my chest contracted and the lights suddenly went out.

.

.

.

.

When the lights came back on, I was lying flat on the sofa. Akram squatted on the floor next to me, his face completely ashen.

Frantically​, I clawed at the back of the sofa, fumbling my way to sit up straight .

"A-are... are they waiting outside?!" I gasped, my breath uneven. My eyes were unfocused. The walls kept shaking slightly.

"What?!" Akram's brows pulled together. His face was drained as if he'd seen a corpse come back to life.

"They're... here... for me, aren't they?" I sounded like a squeaky toy. My trembling hands flew to my mouth, trying to stifle the uncontrollable gasps. "I'm so sorry!"

I brought the cops to his place! I'm a criminal! I'll be arrested! My future is ruined... It's over!... My life is over!

Akram frowned, confusion drawn on his features. "What... are you talking ab---"

I jerked up to my feet, holding my head to stop the dizziness. My body swayed back and forth on a pair of cooked spaghetti noodles.