Chapter Ten: A little less... A little more...

When Lena awoke the next morning, nothing felt right. She didn't know who she was anymore, let alone where. She couldn't remember talking to anyone, wasn't sure if the events that had happened in her life before were actually real, and could only hope they weren't. Disoriented, but her mind clear enough to know how to function properly, she opened her eyes, laying them instantly on the digital clock near her bed. 11:04am. 

Her brain made her jolt out of bed so fast that she tripped on the soft rug and only managed to regain balance by holding onto the drapes covering the massive windows, thus letting in the blinding morning light. With a painful grunt, she raised her hands to her eyes, starting to feel a migraine kicking in. Still unaware of anything else, she still went on with her routine and headed to the bathroom. She was very late for work, she couldn't waste any time. 

As soon as she reached the door, though, it opened before she even had the chance to touch it and the silhouette of a man appeared, making her choke in surprise and step back, fear and adrenaline rushing through her veins as her legs started shaking nervously. The man stopped in the door frame, unsettled and seemingly as surprised as she was, and hurried towards the bed to drop the thing he carried with both hands. Lena felt sick, half-unconscious, and she only found her way back into reality when his voice crept in.

"Lena, what's wrong?" the man asked in a soft voice, and although Lena knew this voice could only mean nice things, she was unable to get out of this trance she was in. Still shaking, she took a few steps back again, laying her back on the wall, her hands searching the white surface aimlessly. The man approached, and Lena wished she could disappear, melt herself into the wall so he wouldn't be able to reach her, although she apparently had no reason to fear him. Finally, after what felt like an hour-long slow-mo walk, he was close to her, his hand reaching behind her neck to bring her closer to him. Lena felt her body tense up, but when her head touched his chest, when her nose smelled his scent, all the tension stiffening her muscles disappeared and she relaxed into the embrace. 

"It's me, Lena," the voice whispered in her ear, "it's Tyler. I'm your friend. It's okay. Everything's okay..."

Still astray and confused, Lena tightened the hug, only finding the strength to mumble a few words in her half-asleep state. "Am I late for work?"

"No, princess," Tyler chuckled, "you're not. It's Sunday and you had the whole weekend off, remember?"

Slowly, her face still against the soft fabric of his t-shirt, Lena nodded. She was starting to remember indeed, and she clearly didn't want to have to look at Tyler right now. She felt so stupid, and there was no way Tyler didn't think the same, or worse. How hadn't he ran away from her already? Why was he still there, trying to help her when she was clearly an incurable mess? Without a word, Lena felt Tyler's body move away slowly, still holding onto her shoulders and guiding her towards the bed. When they sat down, Lena laid her eyes on the object Tyler was previously holding: a breakfast tray, complete with orange juice, tea and some toast. She thought she had hit rock bottom? Well, this was definitely worse, and the embarrassment she was feeling had reached an all-time high. Feeling her cheeks redden, she raised her hands to her face, hiding behind them like it could make her disappear from this hell she had created herself. 

"Are you feeling better?" Tyler asked, setting a comforting hand on her back, and all Lena could answer was a weak "I'm sorry" that escaped her lips like a sigh as she laid her head down on his shoulder once again. Memories of the night before were finally coming back, and she felt a knot form in her guts at the thought of all the things she had finally said out loud. She had admitted to Tyler that the reason she had been MIA was because her little brother Tommy had died. She had also let out the fact that she was the reason Tommy was dead, the only person at fault for the loss of such a young and beautiful soul. If Tyler didn't think she was worthless before, this would have surely changed his mind.