Part 1

The heat was overwhelming. Everywhere she looked, flames flickered toward the night sky, a dense walls of fire enveloping whole units in one fair blow. The screams rattled her skull and shook the ground. She didn't want to fight. She didn't want to be here. But, then again, neither did the monsters. They never asked for this. They never wanted to fight. But humans were blood thirsty creatures. Sometimes (Name) wondered if human souls were made of anything at all. She leaned against a nearby tree, enjoying the moment away from the bloodbath.

    Suddenly, a man rode in in front of her, blocking her view of the carnage, and effectively cutting off her train of thought.

    "You're not being paid to observe," the man said forcefully.

    She shot a glare toward the taller man, "You're not paying me at all."

    He scowled at the defiant reply. He unsheathed his sword and pointed it towards her, nearly grazing her nose, "Your kind is being paid with your lives. Now follow orders, or I'll be taking my payment back."

    She shot another frown at the man, but did as she was told. She heard the galloping of the man's horse behind him, as she approached the battlefield. It was obvious that the battlefield was once a peaceful meadow, but now was a burning pit of death and destruction, much like how humans described "Hell."

    This might as well be Hell, she thought. She looked around, absorbing the chaos and analyzing where the most effective use of her time might be.

    She saw a wall of flames that was cutting off the soldiers' supplies and decided that she was most needed there. She sprinted between the trees and soldiers until she arrived at the flames. The wall was nearly 10 feet high, with no way around or through it. It perked her interest for a moment; no monster could have erected this without an extensive familiarity of fire. And no monster had that level of experience with such a destructive element, other than-. She shook the thought out of her head, the battle was still raging. She had no time to ponder if she was going to survive.

    She breathed in slowly, focusing all her energy at a single point in front of her. She felt the air become moist around her as her hands went higher and higher, willing the air to become moister and moister. Soon she couldn't raise her hands any higher, but the rushing of water behind her told her that she didn't have to. She lowered her arms steadily, holding her hands in front of her chest. She closed her eyes, and breathed out, as she forcefully pushed her hands forward. The water split behind her, just big enough for her to fit through, and rushed forward in huge tidal wave. The wave crashed on the wall of fire, extinguishing it. The soldiers rushed forward replenishing there supplies and then back on to the battle field, not caring that it was sopping wet and slightly singed.

    (Name) sighed a breath of relief, and turned around to provide her services elsewhere. Then, she heard the faint crackle of fire behind her and turned around and saw the wall raise again, twice as high than the last, but instead of burning a vibrant orange, this inferno burned white hot.

    A curious hand reached out, and although all instincts told her not to, she stuck her hand into the blaze. She shut her eyes, expecting indescribable pain, but instead only a faint warmness flickered against her fingers. She inspected the inferno, trying to find some reasonable explanation for this. She reached in further, until her entire forearm was consumed by flames, but still felt no pain. When the other soldiers saw her arm inside the fire, but no pain registering on her face, they tried for themselves, only to get singed on contact. She quickly contracted her hand from the fire, not wanting to encourage more to try.

    She forced herself to turn away from the blaze, only a two human units remained against the monsters, and try as they might, they were fighting a losing battle. The general was a stubborn man, incapable of admitting that they had lost, even if it meant saving his own men's lives. She scowled at the thought of the general, it were humans like him that caused this war, and were going to be the ones to end it, for better or worse. She was about to walk away, this battle was already a lost cause, she could've easily gotten away from the human military and this pointless war. But for some reason, she couldn't pull herself to do it. Something made her want to stay.