Part 2

The king sat back in his seat, watching his wife pace back and forth. He ran his hand through his already ruffled, golden hair up and out of his eyes. He looked through the thin tarp of his tent at the silhouettes of his subjects outside. The battle had gone exactly like how they hoped. "Though," the king thought, "too many lives were lost on both sides. And we've run into a bit of a... situation..." He thought of the witch. She had saved his life, risking her own in the process. "If it weren't for Grillby's quick thinking, she would have been..." He shook his head, some of his hair falling over his eyes once again.

His wife gently brushed the hair out of his eyes. He looked up to see her smiling at him. He smiled back. He was constantly grateful to have his wife by his side even during a time of war, she was the only one he could let his guard down around, the only one he could trust, the only one who kept him sane.

He has had his fair share of fighting before the war, as king it was only natural that he had to be able to protect his subjects, but it was never to this extreme. Every time he stepped foot onto the battlefield he felt immense regret. How could he have let this happen? To his subjects, to the humans, to everybody? How could this happen? His thoughts flashed to Grillby. He was one of his biggest regrets. The war had forced him to break an ancient promise to protect everything he had, only to lose it anyway. But he forced himself to keep fighting for monster-kind, for several years now. He was loyal, dependable, and ferocious.

Suddenly, the tarp curtains drew back, revealing the General and the witch. The king quickly stood up and nodded to the general, who then bowed in return. He looked to the witch; her hair was unkempt, her face and arms was dirty, and her clothes were singed. Seeing his eyes on her, she quickly smoothed hair and tried to wipe her face of the dirt. His wife saw the small witch, and looked at her husband with a mix of contempt and pleading. The king sighed, he had wanted to ask the witch a few questions, but he knew that would impossible as long as his wife is seeing her in that state. He nodded to his wife, silently defeated. She quickly smiled at her husband, and left his side and approached the witch. She held out her hands toward her with a pleasant smile on her face.

The witch looked at Grillby, trying to hide the fear in her eyes. The queen was just as powerful as the king was, and according to the humans, twice as malicious. Of course, the monsters knew of the rumor, but it took a moment for Grillby to realize why she was frightened. He chuckled to himself and nodded, telling her that she safe. She looked back to the queen, who never lost her patient smile, and put her hands in the queen's larger hands.

The queen smiled slightly bigger, and lead her to the back of the rather large tent where the private royal bath was.

Grillby chuckled to himself as the king fell back in his chair, laying back with his hand over his face, sighing deeply. A moment of silence passed between the two monsters, the idle chatter of the soldiers outside were the only signs of movement. The king sat up from his chair, and glanced at the other, who was watching the silhouettes of the soldiers outside spring with life. Not noticing the king's eyes on him, the general turned his attention to the back of the tent, where the queen and the witch were. He watched as their silhouettes danced on the tarp separating them and the men. He leaned back onto a nearby table, his eyes never leaving the back of the tent. The king raised an eyebrow at the general.

The king could sense that something was wrong with Grillby. He had never protected an enemy soldier, human or witch, before ad the way he stared so intensely. A foolish thought passed through the king's mind, and he shook the thought off. Grillby had said himself that something like what he was thinking was impossible. He had sworn off any and all ties of that nature in the face of the war.

"But," The king thought, "it's not as if something like that isn't entirely impossible..."

The king cleared his throat, trying to push the thought aside, catching General Grillby's attention. The general stood straight, remembering he was in the presence of the king. He turned his attention back to the king.