Chapter 1: A Strange Girl

Remember, this is a SEQUEL, more specifically the final book in a trilogy. I highly recommend reading the first two first. They are combined into one story (The Forest Gods' Reign) on Wattpad, however. Thanks :) Please note that this is an unedited draft.

---------------------------------

START OF BOOK 3

Chapter 1:

"It's been seven whole months and we're still dealing with the downfall of the gods." The thick-headed douchebag sitting across from me sighed as he stared out the large window at the pouring rain.

"Well, what did you expect? They were gods. And gods tend to have a pretty big effect on the world, in case you hadn't noticed," I informed him, rolling my eyes. "It will be years before the next generation of Greek gods even grows up to discover their powers, so we'd better get used to this crazy weather." I had lowered my voice and switched from  English to Greek, our first language, so that un-Knowing humans, who didn't know the truth to the Greek myths, wouldn't overhear us in the crowded restaurant. 

 "Don't be a smartass, Jace" was his short reply.

I crossed my arms in annoyance. He thought I was being an ass? "Look, Brady," I began, almost as if I were talking to a child, "you're just complaining about the weather as a result of the gods' deaths. We're not even the ones dealing with the death of our gods or the aftermath of the war. Alec is wrapping all of that up. Alone. No one else. He is the only Knowing member who actually knew the gods on a friendly basis, after all."

"I know. But if we don't have to deal with the effects of the war, why are we sitting in a McDonald's in the middle of New York City? Why aren't we at home?" Brady questioned me, leaning forward in his seat to reach for a few golden French fries. "And don't tell me it's because Jason wanted us to go sightseeing together."

I sighed and wished Jason, the leader of the Knowing, had sent me on this outing with anyone but Brady. Anyone. And I was sure Brady was thinking the same about me. It's pretty safe to say that the two of us didn't get along very well. I had thought everyone back at home in Kentucky knew about our terrible relationship, but maybe Jason didn't. Or maybe Jason just wanted Brady and I to bond.

You see, a few years earlier, Brady had offered to let me join his "crew," a posse of bullies who thought they were the best Warriors in the entire Knowing base camp, which they definitely weren't. Every day, his little group of guys went around the camp picking on the weaklings and the loners for absolutely no reason. Because I had some sense in me and didn't want to be a jerk like Brady, I declined his offer immediately. But Brady had taken my response very personally, and he had despised me ever since that day. The feeling was mutual, however.

But now I was admittedly just as confused as he was, so I shrugged and frowned. "The only thing Jason told me was that we were supposed to meet the Knowing leader of the New York camp here. I think we're picking up a package of some sort. But I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the gods or the war." Then, glancing around the noisy, overcrowded fast food restaurant, I added under my breath, "They could've arranged a better meeting place, though."

"Forget packages. I want to pick up that chick," Brady said with a disgusting grin on his face, his blue eyes lighting up. My eyes followed the invisible line from his finger and rested on a slim girl standing outside, whom I pegged to be somewhere around our age, sixteen. She could have been pretty, but from my angle it was hard to tell, especially since the hood of her jacket was on. Nevertheless, I knew Brady was probably not going to leave her alone.