Chapter 2

"Hey Abs."

The scientist looked at him for a brief moment with a look in her eyes before going back to her computer. "Hi." She said simply, and it fell silent for a few seconds. "How's, uh...how's it going down here." McGee asked slowly, approaching behind her.

"Fine."

McGee stared at her a bit while squinting from the bright lights of the lab. Abby glanced at him. "Would you stop giving me that look?" She snapped in a grumpy tone. McGee was taken back by this as his eyes darted to the computer to obey her wishes.

"Sorry." He mumbled quietly. "Gibbs sent me down to see if you had anything." He told her, hoping this wouldn't cause her to lash out again. "Nope. Just the same old stupid evidence that we got when we first started this case. If we had actually caught the guy..." Abby trailer off with a hint of blame in her voice and McGee sulked.

"Oh. Okay. I'll tell him then...sorry to bother you." McGee said as he slowly backed away before turning fully toward the elevator.

"Whatever." The scientist mumbled bitterly as she typed onto the computer. "Oh by the way, I found some, uh, stuff on Higgins. He used to work for—" "I already know that." Abby said bluntly. McGee swallowed hard.

"No, Abs. It's something else, he used to—"

"Go away, Tim!" Abby suddenly barked with a nasty glare on her face. McGee looked surprised as the elevator dinged and opened. And he said nothing as he entered the elevator and made him way back up to his office, his stomach churning as he wondered what was happening in the minds of his team members.

~

McGee pushed his sunglasses up slightly as he stepped out of his car, shuffling slowly and lazily toward his home. His hand and chest had started to be less painful, but his head still throbbed with everything he did.

'No tech...that means no TV, phone, computer...what am I supposed to do?' He wondered as he unlocked his door. As he opened it, he was greeted by a happy bark and two paws being placed on his shoulders.

"Hi Anakin." McGee said, scratching the dog. The Blue Bay Shepherd licked his face happily, and he knew he had been gone for too long. McGee smiled slightly as he gently pushed his dog down and walked past her while shutting his door.

Anakin followed him as she wagged her tail, happy to have her master home. McGee made his way to the kitchen, setting his book bag on the counter, not even bothering to fix it when the books fell out slightly.

All the agent wanted to do was lay down in his bed, cuddle up to his dog, and sleep to the next day away since Ducky cleared him for a day or two of his choice.

Before he could get far from the kitchen, the phone machine resting on the counter beeped to alert him of a message left. He walked over to it with Anakin at his heels, licking his hand as she knew he was hurting; physically and mentally.

McGee sighed and lazily clicked the play button on the machine.

Two new messages: Message one, Thursday, June 18th, 3:47 PM.-

Hey Kiddo.

McGee's heart sank.

I know I haven't...called in awhile, but uh..I just wanted to know how you've been, how your job has been and uh, Anakin! Yea, I miss that little mutt.

The man in the message chuckled before falling silent for a bit.

Yea, I just wanted to uh..call you and just catch up ya know? I've been a little sick is all so I've been—

The man coughed.

—stuck in bed and I just wanted some company. Well anyways, just call me back when you have the chance and uh...

The man paused for a brief moment and McGee thought maybe the message had ended before the man coughed again.

I love you, son. Just give me a call when you can. Bye Tim.

And the message clicked off, and followed with another beep while McGee swallowed hard from his nerves.

Message two, Thursday, June 18th 1:21 AM.-

Timothy McGee? This is Anne Justin with Saint Mary's hospital. We're sorry to inform you that—

McGee froze as the word came out of the woman's mouth.

Your father passed away just a few hours prior to this phone call. I'm very sorry for your loss, Mr McGee. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call us.

The machine clicked again and McGee knew the message had ended, along with his will to live it felt like. His heartbeat sped up and he stared at the machine with disbelief and anger. Why hasn't his father told him when he got sick? What had he gotten sick with?

Anakin whined as she sensed his sadness and nudged his hand to comfort him. McGee snapped out of his state of mind and walked to his room, a numb emotion running through him.

He opened his closest and pushed aside the dress tops, suit jackets and pants, and regular tshirts to get to the hidden bag hanging up behind all of his everyday clothing. He gently grabbed the bag, taking it off the hook it hung on and turning around to hold it up.

Anakin sniffed the bag and wagged it excitedly as she recognized the smell. McGee set it on his bed and unzipped it slowly with shaking hands, gently touching the clothing hidden inside. He grabbed the hanger and slowly pulled it out of the bag that helped protect its quality.

He hung it up on his doorway and stared at it. He didn't know how long he was staring at it, but Anakin started nudging the bag with her nose and whined, which caused him to snap out of his daze and look at her.

She nuzzled her nose into the bag and grabbed an item inside of it, gently pulling it out with her front two teeth. McGee smirked slightly as he took the object from her and hung it up next to the clothing on the door.

"Seems like it's time to bring these old things out, huh Annie?" McGee whispered, his voice cracking a little. "For dads sake. He'd definitely want this."

The NCIS agent gently caressed the uniform that was hung on the doorway, one he hadn't seen in a long time. He touched the ribbons that decorated it, the Snow White pants and the finally the rank patch on the arm. He sighed quietly as he looked at the other object from the uniform bag.

On the side of the murky green vest was a patch, and he wiped off the sand that was still on it after years of being out away.

"Same goes for you, Anakin." McGee said before plopping onto his bed and laying down with tears in his eyes. Anakin jumped up in the bed and tucked underneath his arm that was outstretched across the bed. McGee pet her to calm his nerves and told himself as gently as possible, wanting so hard to believe it.

"Everything will be okay, Tim."