Am I Useless?

Hiccup groaned quietly as he lifted himself off his thin mattress. There was nothing to do but wait. Soon Alvin would open the door and shove him into another day of slavery. Hiccup was fifteen now. If only he could escape. He wanted parents. He wanted a home. He wanted love and safety.

It would never happen. Hiccup was too weak and useless to escape. There was no hope. Alvin would be his master forever.

The door was thrown open. Alvin loomed in the doorway. "Get to work boy." Hiccup nodded nervously. "Y-yes master."

---

That night, Hiccup was waiting on Alvin, as usual. He was standing in the corner, waiting for Alvin to finish his meal so Hiccup could take up his plate. Surprisingly, Alvin addressed him. "Hiccup, you know, you're lucky." Hiccup flinched nervously. "Y-yes master."

Alvin continued as if he hadn't heard Hiccup. "You do know that the name Hiccup means accident. You're too small and skinny and weak to have been accepted. Remember, Hiccup, that you're not a Viking. You're not good enough. Your only purpose in life is to be squashed under my heel."

Just then a horn blew. Dragon attack. Alvin whirled toward Hiccup. "Stay here- or else! And clean up while you're at it. You remember what happened last time." Hiccup did remember last time. He had been so close. Hiccup had been caught by Savage at the outskirts of the village and dragged back to Alvin. Alvin starved Hiccup for a week, before he got a demand from Stoick for proof. Proof of his son's safety. Hiccup had been dragged into the torture room, and forced to write those two sentences.

Two sentences that would help Alvin win.