C28. It's a no

The gif above is of how I picture the delicious Lukas Connors (Shemar Moore). You're free to picture him however you'd like to though! I've finally discovered the joys of using gifs. You have been warned!

Dedicated to @Learning-to-love because your comment was just so cute and it made my day thank you so much!

"My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light."

― Edna St. Vincent Millay (often quoted by the absolutely brilliant author, Roald Dahl)

Enjoy, friends.

-----------------------------------------

I lay on my side in bed that night, blankly staring at the window through the darkness. When I heard the door open, I closed my eyes, pretending to be asleep by slowing my breaths. I heard the slight rustle of clothing and I knew Xavier was stripping to his boxers.

The bed dipped under his weight and as soon as he comfortably positioned himself, he wrapped his arm around my waist and placed a gentle kiss on my shoulder.

"You should be asleep," he murmured and I turned my head, letting him kiss me lightly on the lips.

"How was it?" I ignored his question, looking back to the window.

"They all understood. Everyone is prepared for whatever's coming. Our allies have all said they will come to our aide if Theodore or the Hunters choose to attack and we've got people watching the Ignis Pack and people watching the Hunters compound. We'll be ready if they try anything," he reassured me and I nodded, feeling slightly comforted by his words.

"I want to keep training with the pack. I need to be stronger. I want to help if we have to go to war."

"Alexandra..."

"I need to help, Xavier. This is my fault and if I don't claim some responsibility then I'll be a bad leader. We both know that."

Xavier pulled me closer to him.

"I know. Doesn't mean I like it," he sighed.

"What about Sean?" I softly asked and his grip immediately hardened. I recalled his face when I'd told him about my memories of Sean and the murder of my mother earlier today and felt myself press closer to Xavier.

"We've decided that the best option would be to find out if he also killed Lisa and then find some supportive evidence to present to the Hunters at the right time," he paused and when I didn't respond, he softly continued. "You should get some sleep."

"I-"

"I'll be right here," he promised just as I was about to argue that I couldn't because of the memories of the past. With a reluctant sigh, I closed my eyes, comforted by the strong, safe arms wrapped around me.

Then, as I thankfully drifted into a dreamless sleep, I found myself determined to start the next day with a hardened heart and my usual grin.

The sun was barely rising when I woke up and just as I promised myself, I was prepared to put on a brave face. Silently I moved out of Xavier's arms and quickly I slipped his discarded shirt over my tank top, letting it fall over my pyjama shorts.

With one final glance in Xavier's direction I walked from the room and made it to the kitchen. Without hesitating, I began pulling out various utensils and ingredients from the cupboards, easily using them to create a simple breakfast.