Chapter 2

Sakeena's chacha led Purnima through a narrow lane, it was dark but low lights flickering from the houses was enough for them to go....at the end of the lane he stopped, pointing out the road in front, he whispered the direction, this side of the road nobody ventures into much after dark hence it is safe but be alert....may Allah be with you...

Purnima took a deep breath, it was going to be full moon within a couple of days hence no problem in seeing the road. Her heart was beating fast, she never really ventured into these areas before, being predominantly a Muslim area she had no friends here nor any other reasons for coming. Once or twice she came with Manjri Kaki to visit clients for fittings on those who maintained strict purdah.

Who is that...who goes there....a man's voice rang out...Purnima stopped in the shadow, she froze...the voice was heavier and much more serious, not like the one in the afternoon, she knew the men of the locality kept vigilance and those who kept vigilance were always armed and it would not take them a minute to put her down if they find out she is trespassing....the same is for her locality, things were very sensitive....

I know you are there, please come out and identify yourself....the man repeated once again......Purnima swallowed hard, in the darkness of the night, she was feeling a wee bit too nervous, in the daylight things were much different she discovered....

I will count three and if you do not come out and fail to identify yourself, I will shoot.....I will shoot in your direction...

Shhhhhhh Purnima whispered, stop creating a ruckus, she said in a low voice....

Who are you and what are you doing at this time of the evening....

Must be some important work, otherwise kya meri mati mari gayi that I will get out in this curfew.....

So it seems...

Shhhhhhhh koi awaaz nehi, I am in a hurry....

Identify yourself before you step forward....the voice sounded harsh and firm...

Purnima stood still, her hands shook....her lips quivered.....taking a deep breath she said...

I am in Purdah....

Name?

Can't you guess, who else but me will go out on a day like this...Purnima tried to sound as confident as possible....

Sakeena?

Hmmmm who else...

Sakeena Hussain? The voice wanted to reconfirm...

Purnima made a muffled sound and she said, aur kaun? who else but me will have the courage under these circumstances....

Purnima saw a tall figure coming towards her....she caught the veil of her burqa tightly....he seemed to be a young and strong man...Purnima could not see his face but he was armed..

And why is Sakeena Hussain out at this point of time....

I am going to get my veil, the veil I will wear for my wedding day after tomorrow....

For a veil you have to go out...ghar me naukar nehi hai kya?

Eerrr, I cannot risk other's life....and I ordered the veil ......now move I have to go getting late...Purnima quickly dodged him and started walking, she could feel a pair of eyes piercing her back.....praying she walked on.. let me go home safely, Diya and Deepak have already lost their mother if they lose me what will happen, hey bhagwan why did I come all the way to deliver this veil....but then Sakeena had paid the making charge and said it was for her life's most important day....