Chapter 3

One year since the riot was over. Meerut was getting normal. The scissor industry of Meerut was once again thriving and so was neighbouring town of Moradabad which made brass metal items....Many businessmen in these two cities had business interest in both the industries.

Purnima's routine was the same as ever. She still went to Dinu Kaka's house to get orders where she sat and chatted with the girls who came for work before returning home to do her regular work. The riot was over, the fear of it was not. Even in the evenings, people did not want to venture out unless it was necessary...talking about the riot was an unwritten taboo, nobody discussed the same specially in Dinu Kaka's house as he had both Hindu and Muslim clients, his Muslim clients were coming back one by one.

Purnima's father forbade Purnima to speak about that 'day'. Forget about it has ever happened. You going to Jhali Kothi was bad enough.

Purnima prayed to her gods and hoped Imran had reached safely but then she was too afraid to ask about. There were so many people who went missing during the riots and of course silent tears were shed in their memory, family members made enquiry only to know the outcome, a missing diary in the Police Station but no conclusion and without any trace.

+++++++++

Purnima was cleaning the house when there was a knock on the door...who can it be, her siblings were at school, her father was in the shop...she was a young girl alone in the house...Purnima peered through the eye hole....an uniformed man was standing, she opened the door....

+++++++

It was one of the expensive venues to hold ceremonies....Purnima stood before it feeling a bit awkward, she came alone, her father was furious...but then she had to come...the uniformed driver handed over a card with her name written on it. It was 'godh bharai' ceremony of Sakeena....she was visiting her parents.

See she sent you the card just to inform you, no family member came, it was through the driver too...her father had pointed out and why is Dinesh and his family not invited? He asked, didn't he make her wedding trousseau?

Theek hai, thank god it is in the afternoon and do not remain too long, show your face and come back quickly....he relented at last.

Wearing the dress she had got for Diwali, Purnima took a deep breath and entered the venue, holding the invitation card she walked into the hall, being 'godh bharai' ceremony, the presence of females were predominant, few men were around, Purnima guessed they were immediate family but how do I know him? If he is here, will I recognize him? One night under the moonlight she had seen the outline of his face, here all the men look quite similar...How do I recognize him? Or will he recognize me?

Purnima!! Sakeena exclaimed seeing her, sitting in the middle she was round with child, I am so happy to see you, Sakeena hugged her.

You know Purnima, everybody just loved my veil, everybody said they are yet to see such a work....Sahar, meet my friend Purnima, she is the one who made my veil....she is my sister-in-law Sahar.....

I wish I was getting married now, where were you Purnima when I got married....

Sakeena got busy receiving other guests, Sahar asked her to be comfortable....Purnima's eyes went around...men were keeping to themselves mainly, though they mingled it was with their relatives and friends and Purnima was not known, so no man came forward to ask her how she was doing.

Purnima was sipping a glass of juice when she heard Sakeena's mother saying to some lady, this was a last moment arrangement, we could not do much during Sakeena's marriage, you know why...now we have to do something, this is our first grandchild....look for a match for my younger son Iqbal, I have to get him married, Imran ...as she uttered the name, her lips curled, tears rolled down........