Chapter Twenty - Interrogating Marvis

"You never told me specifically how you and Marvis met," Buggy says as they're walking in a nice neighborhood, where Laina claims that it's where the club founder lives. She doesn't seem fazed by either the place or Buggy's statement.

     "Still have the 'disturbing mental images'?" Laina asks, quoting Buggy from before.

     "Maybe," Buggy confesses.

     Stifling a laugh, the girl puckers her lips and blows, the carbon dioxide turning cloudy as it meets the cold weather. "I guess I'll save you this time," she says.

     "This time?" 

     Laina ignores Buggy's alarm. "I told you we know each other personally," she says. "That was partially true. There was another crime committed around the club, and Marvis happened to be the one holding a couple of answers to the questions the police needed. I was the only one who managed to get him to tell, though."

     "What can't you do?" Buggy asks.

     "I promised him that no one would be able to arrest him," Laina responds. "And I'm one of those people who always keep their promises." She stops suddenly, looks around, and then pulls out her phone as a resource. 

     While she's looking up the address, Buggy wonders, "How can you keep that promise?"

     The girl smirks. "You only know the definition of 'anti-hero'," she says. To add to the enigmatic statement, she doesn't bother to explain herself. 

     Buggy would have gotten used to it if she didn't feel so snubbed. And insulted.

     Laina points at a house at a corner of the street across from them. "That's the address, if I remember correctly," she says. Peering at Buggy, Laina adds, "You wanna go and knock or wait a bit?"

     "Better get it over as quickly," Buggy says. Her partner nods. "How do you know where he lives?"

     "I only glanced at his sheet when he was being questioned." The girls walk fast to the house. As they get closer, Buggy notices the paint starting to peel down, and a window is in need of repairing, instead of the cardboard and duct tape covering the hole. 

     Thinking up of scenarios about how the window got smashed, Buggy almost didn't notice the porch steps. "What's with you and tripping over things?" Laina asks, not catching Buggy in time.

     "Ah!" Buggy quickly gets back up, rubbing her nose and then her forehead. "Thanks for catching me when I needed it, Laina," she says, annoyed.

     "Aw, does someone need a guide?" Buggy glares at Laina. "Take a joke, calm down."

     Laina knocks on the door as Buggy tries to get over her embarrassment (It's not like anyone caught it on tape, she thinks). They hear some shuffling not long after, and the door opens to reveal a tired Marvis wearing nothing but a T-shirt and boxers. Buggy tries her best not to notice.

     "Laina, I thought you got what you needed back at the club," Marvis rumbles. "What else do you need?"

     In response, she takes out her phone again. Buggy sees her thumb the photo gallery app, choose the same picture of Malik the reporter used on her breaking news. Showing Marvis the photo, Laina says, "This guy has been missing for three weeks."

     Has it been that long? Buggy inquires.

     "His kidnappers have been seen going to your club several times," her partner continues, still holding up the phone. "It's possible one of those times they've brought this man to roughen up a little by Dylan the Demolisher. The reason I say 'possible' is because the kidnappers sent a picture of him covered in bruises to the news station. Do you know anything about that?"