4: The Prince

Harry

"YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY insane!" are the first words that leave my best mate's lips. "But you're bloody brilliant, Harold." Louis shakes his head, chuckling and leaning against the wooden fence that surrounds his cottage. "I just can't believe my best mate's a knight. A palace knight, no less." I roll my eyes and look away from him, staring off into the distance. Far beyond the forest and the town stands the castle. I can't see it, but I can feel it. My new home.

I should be proud, excited, honored even.

I feel nothing at all.

"You alright?" Lou interrupts my thoughts. "You haven't been very chatty. You should be elated!"

"I'm great." I lie, reassuring him with my best smile. "Just thinking, is all. How's Lottie?" I ask in hopes to change the subject. Lottie was the eldest of Lou's younger sisters and undoubtedly the biggest troublemaker. She's never been one to follow the rules, much like her older brother.

"She's...." Louis frowns. "She's alright, I guess." He glances over his shoulder as if Lottie was going to appear behind him. "She keeps forgetting to milk the cow and water the vegetables. She often disappears, only to return in the middle of the night. Mum's furious."

"She'll be okay." I nudge him playfully. "She's just growing up." Louis sighs and I can tell he doesn't want to continue on the subject. His blue eyes reveal a hint of sadness and worry for his younger sister. I stay silent, pondering my next statement.

"I met the princess." I blurt out at last, my mind suddenly filled with thoughts of Luna. "She's kind." I turn to Louis and he's staring at me, mouth wide.

"You're shitting me." He shakes his head. "The Princess? You've only been at the palace one night!"

"I met her before." I find myself telling him. "At Gregory's." Louis continues to stare at me in disbelief, his eyes now filled with questions.

"She showed up there one night, hidden." I explain. "She'd snuck into town. She's... not what I expected." Lou doesn't respond and I glance over to make sure he's still breathing. He is, but his facial expression has changed from excitement and curiosity to one I can't quite read. His eyebrows are scrunched up and he runs a hand through his tousled locks, biting his lip. I decide not to ask him what's on his mind, a part of me afraid of his response.

"She's marrying soon." My voice cuts through the silence, the only other sounds audible are the birds singing in the forest. "She's meeting some prince today. She doesn't seem happy. I told her things are going to be alright, but..." I stop, unsure of where I was going with that sentence. Luna's blue eyes cloud my mind.

"Be careful." Louis says at last, his worried eyes meeting mine. "Be careful, Harry."

"What do you mean?"

"She's royalty." Lou explains. "She's a princess. The King's daughter. Any mistake, one wrong sentence..."

"What is it, Lou?"

"You know what could happen."

-

Luna

ONE, TWO, THREE...

I pace back and forth, running my fingers over my hair and dress over and over. My heart is racing; my hands are sweating beneath my gloves. I can't remember a time where I've been more nervous than I am this very minute. A few feet away, my father sits on his throne.