Chapter Fifteen

Athena watched with a heart full of hope as Derek slowly sat up. She hesitated to rush towards him as she watched him rub his head and the back of his neck. The imprint of the cross on his forehead was gone and the light in his eyes was finally back. He was starting to return to himself again. When he finally looked over at Athena, his eyes started to water, and his mouth turned down.

"Athena?" he croaked.

Athena finally knew that her brother was back. She rushed over and embraced him.

"Is she gone?" Derek asked her in a timid voice. "I can't hear her in my head anymore."

Athena nodded quickly. "Yes. Oh, Derek, I'm so happy you're back!" She knew she was going to have a headache with how much she was letting herself cry.

Derek hugged his sister tighter and looked over her shoulder. He pushed away from her and moved back as his eyes widened. She followed his eyes to where Father Calvin's body was lying a few feet away from them in a pool of blood. His body shook as he couldn't take his eyes off of the body. 

"Please tell me that I didn't do that," his voice shook and cracked. 

Athena looked over at Father Calvin's body again, shuttered, and then back at her brother. "Derek," she started slowly. "Effie was in control of you. You didn't do it, okay? She did."

Derek's shoulders were still stiff as he looked back at Athena. "She still used my body to commit it, Athena."    

Athena opened her mouth to try to argue with him when the bedroom door swung open. Mr. Schneider ran through the open door and stopped short at the sight in front of him. 

His eyes widened more at the sight of Father Calvin and the pool of blood around him. He then looked over at Athena and Derek. Seeing that Derek was back to his usual self, his eyes softened. He quickly walked over to the two young people and wrapped them up in a large hug. 

"I'm so glad you both are safe," he breathed a sigh of relief. "Come on." He helped them up. "I called the police and paramedics; they should be here soon. Let's go meet them."

Athena tugged lightly on Mr. Schneider's hand. "How are we going to explain everything that happened?"

Mr. Schneider looked back at her and gave her a reassuring look. "I'll handle everything." Athena had no choice but to believe him. 

---------------------

The next few weeks went by in a blur for Athena. After the entire house was cleaned and Father Calvin's body was taken away, another Priest came into Athena's house. He finished cleaning the rest of Effie's spirit out of her house. She hadn't heard her voice in weeks. No scary laughter filled her head anymore. Her leg hadn't given her any problems after a week. She doesn't walk with a limp anymore, although bruises still covered her body. 

Athena had nightmares after that day's events. She would wake up in the middle of the night drenching with sweat. Her dog would move and lay her head on Athena's lap trying to comfort her. But after a few days, the nightmares stopped, and was able to get a full night's sleep. 

Mr. Schneider got her a get-well computer after Effie had broken her old one. Athena used this new computer to finally finish her report on the Sarton Asylum. The report turned out to be a big hit, rewarding both her and Mr. Schneider a whole lot of money. She believes the reason it was a big hit was because of the news report. There were reporters outside her house for a couple of days before Mr. Schneider was able to get them to move on.

Athena woke up one bright morning and stretched in bed. She got out slowly and walked over to her window. Opening the window, she leaned out and breathed in the fresh air. She has learned to appreciate everything about every day. She heard the soft roar of a car driving down her driveway. 

"Ginger!" she yelled excitedly to her dog. "Derek's here!"

Ginger barked and jumped off the bed. Athena chased after her dog out of the room and down the stairs. She opened the front door, smiling at Derek as he got out of the car and walked towards her. She was very thankful that the cross hadn't left a permanent mark on his forehead. He had started to go to a therapist that Mr. Schneider had connected him too. He was still working through a lot of what had happened to him, but he was slowly getting better.

"How are you feeling?" she asked him.

Derek laughed. "Like every morning that you have asked that question, I am feeling fine." He hugged her and walked inside, brushing Ginger's head as he passed her. 

Athena led him into the kitchen and took out a toaster from a cabinet and placed it on the counter. "What do you want to eat for breakfast? I'm wanting toast."

Derek shrugged as he sat down at the table. "I already ate." Athena turned around to give him a skeptical look. "Honest, sis, I did!" He gave her a convincing smile before she turned back around. Athena place two pieces of bread into the toaster and turned it on. "I do have some news for you," Derek announced. 

"Oh?" Athena turned around and leaned against the counter. "What is this news?"

Derek reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper. "It's from Mr. Schneider." He handed the paper to Athena. "There is no pressure to accept this, sis. He just thought you'd like to do something."

Athena smiled and took the piece of paper from him. "Where would I be going?" She started to unfold the paper. 

Derek leaned back in his chair. "Another asylum, but this time in Italy." He pointed a finger at her. "And this time I'm coming with you. First of all, it's in Italy. Second of all, I'm not letting you out of my sight."

Athena smiled and thought about this offer for a while. There was a large chance that they could go through another situation with another spirit like Effie. They would have to go through that whole experience again, but then again, there might not be. Her curiosity was getting the best of her, and she cursed at herself as she looked up at her brother and nodded. After all, she liked the adventure and the danger that came from it. 

"Let's go."

-------edited-------

Hi, everyone! Finally, the end of the book! I hope you all liked it! Please, comment and vote down below. Also, please, if you enjoyed this book, follow me and share it with your friends! Last thing! Please, check out the sequel to this book that just came out! It's called Hiding Shadows. Please, take a look at it if you have time! Lastly, I want to thank the amazing mitzume10 for helping me edit this book! You're wonderful!! Thank you all so much! Bye!