21. • chances •

[to all who believe in the chances to improve, meet, and love each day.]

• • • •
"You did not say that," the young brunette mumbled in shock, her words seeping into her phone as she talked to the discontent socialite through it.

"I did. And I wish I could say I regretted it, but regret is the last thing I'm feeling right now." Ryan's words echoed into Cassandra's ear as she set the phone down, avidly switching it on to speaker as it rested on the small table next to the grand canvas.

The artist couldn't help but grimace towards his words. She wished she could do anything to aid in making his relationship with his parents improve, but there was no doubt the dynamic between the family was heavily strained. A deep exhale escaped her lips as she dipped the paintbrush into a vivid pile of blue, the same hue that would ultimately meet the white canvas in mere seconds. Her living room was nothing but a mess currently, crumpled paper in every corner along with stacks of pencils and brushes everywhere she could lay her eyes on.

"Well, it's not like I would regret saying the truth either if I were you," she opted after careful consideration.

"Yeah, and get this... Shay sort of defended me," he added with detectable confusion as pure awe radiated off of his words. He hadn't talk to her since then, no matter how much he had considered it. And while the moment lingered in his mind, he knew her sudden defense didn't change her disdain towards their fight weeks ago.

Cassandra's dark brows lifted in surprise as she listened to the words echoing in her small apartment, genuinely astonished at Shay's willingness to defend her brother after so long of proclaiming she would never do such a thing. The artist wiped her face, pushing off a strand of her chestnut hair away from it, only to smear a small amount of blue paint across her skin. "She does care about you, Ryan. It doesn't matter how she shows that but it's obvious she has your back when it comes to your parents."

"Apparently," Ryan breathed. "I just hope she won't slaughter me if I ever even attempt to talk about it. But after listening to her say she was actually with that jerk hours before going to dinner..." his trailed off with incredulity as he shook his head, mirroring Cassandra's own appalled reaction as she listened. "I was just ready to slaughter him instead."

"Why would she even consider talking to him again? What could he possibly be saying for her to take him back?" she groaned angrily, all while noticing the evident force she was applying on the paintbrush.

"She's like a walking wad of cash for him," Ryan remarked bitterly. "He isn't the first to talk his way into her heart. Trust me."

Cassandra could feel her heart drop. The mere thought of Shay going through the deceit more than once pained her beyond belief. She probably gave the guy a second chance, all while hoping that this would be different in someway, somehow. It was no wonder why the blonde was so guarded sometimes, even when she didn't mean to be. How could she possibly trust anyone when she had such terrible experiences with lies and deceit? And yet despite that, Shay had gone out of her way to give the jerk another try regardless of the consequences.

"She's used to this?" Cassandra mumbled. The deafening silence on the other end of the call spoke volumes, making the artist lower her paintbrush from the canvas and stare at it aimlessly with a wave of sadness now draping over her.