Epilogue

After three years, here's the epilogue I promised. I figure if anyone plans on reading the whole series, it's about time I get my ass in gear and get this written. It becomes important. Later.

Epilogue

                Vincent smiled slowly as he read a report sent to him from one of agents who he had sent west in order to gather information on the wolves. The wolves were preoccupied with human hunters to be worried about anything else. In fact, Vincent thought it was a perfect situation for himself and the rest of the lions as they made their move. If the hunters reduced the number of wolves, it would only make things easier for him.

                His smile faded when he heard a door opening. He looked up to see one of his pride’s younger males walk in. He growled slightly, not liking to be interrupted, but he didn’t see any need to get too upset with Liam. Not yet anyway.

                “Sir,” Liam said, standing near the doorway. “The wolf boy has been brought back, and…”

                “And what?” Vincent asked when Liam didn’t answer immediately, growing irritated.

                “It’s your son. He’s with the wolf. He’s, well, I believe you might need to see this for yourself.”

                Vincent was on his feet and following Liam quickly. He knew exactly which one of his sons Liam was talking about. It was his only son who he ever had any trouble with. While Liam hadn’t said anything, Vincent had some idea of just what his weakest son was up to.

                They went into the basement where they kept the wolf. He had made it halfway down the stairs when he heard his son’s voice and he knew it was just as bad as he suspected.

                “It’s going to be okay, Shane,” Gabriel’s voice sounded softly. “We’ll figure this out, okay? I’ll do what I can to help you.”

                “You’ll be doing nothing like that!” Vincent said loudly as he approached behind his son. Gabriel was crouched down in front of the wolf, who had his arms handcuffed behind him and was laying on the floor.  “What do you think you’re doing down here?”

                Gabriel jumped up when he heard his father’s loud voice from behind him. He glanced down at Shane, the young wolf they were holding prisoner, before speaking. “I’m just talking,” he said as his sand-colored hair fell into his eyes.

                “That’s not how you talk to these animals,” Vincent said with a growl. He stepped over to the two young men, shoving Gabriel out of the way and pulling Shane up by his shirt. Vincent then dropped him back on the floor, causing him to whimper.

                “That’s not necessary,” Gabriel spoke up. That didn’t help the wolf, though. It only earned Gabriel a slap across the face from his father.

                “Of course you would say something like that, you sniveling weak-hearted worm! You find it necessary to comfort him!”

                “You can’t possibly expect to keep him down here like this and use him,” Gabriel replied. “He’ll go crazy from lack of social interaction.”

                “And that’s why you were down here? Just trying to help the pride for once?” Vincent could have laughed at that idea. Gabriel was just about completely useless.

                “Sure,” Gabriel said. He knew his father knew that was a lie, but he didn’t care. He only hoped Vincent had the sense to realize he was right. “It doesn’t really matter why I’m here. Someone’s got to keep him sane because you sure aren’t going to do that.”

                That earned Gabriel more than a slap. Vincent punched him, hard. The force of the strike sent Gabriel flying several feet, and he was certain he had broken something. “You know better than to talk to me like that,” Vincent said, growling.

                He then turned his attention once more to the young wolf in front of him. The boy shrunk away, almost as if he was trying to be invisible. Yet another reason Vincent couldn’t stand the wolves. They were so cowardly.

                “And you, boy,” Vincent said. “I have something special for you. You’re going to join that pack, and you’re going to tell me everything about them, and then when the time comes, you’re going to help me destroy them. And if you don’t, you get to watch your family die.”